RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

In Place Upgrade from V1 to Vail?

AllToga

Below is a description on what needs to be done to perform an in-place install of Vail. It is meant as a discussion starting point, since everyone says it can't be done. While I agree that a 32 bit OS cannot be upgraded to a 64 bit OS, there are other options. Basically, through the use of freeing up space on one drive, converting it from V1 to V2 and having Vail use the drive to free up other V1 drives, it can be done.

How to perform an in-place upgrade to Vail (an evaluation on what needs to be done to have the upgrade be possible via software without having to move data manually)

What information from WHS V1 needs to be transfered to WHS V2?

1. User Accounts

2. Shared Folder Structure and Permissions

3. Listing of Add-Ins (only a listing is possible, since Vail add-ins are different from V1 add-ins. A listing would help the end user to re-acquire Vail compatable add-ins.)

4. Transfer the data.

Solution:

The first 3 items can be exported to a file (new temporary file format) and placed on the shares and restored after the new installation of Vail.

The data transfer would require some analysis, but the basic concept would be to either add a new hard drive, or to have the install program free up enough space on one drive so that it can be converted to Vail format, and then used to free up subsquent drives. When the analysis is completed, the software should provide the user with some options (if a new hard drive will be needed or not). Also, control of which drive the Vail OS goes onto should be able to be defined by the user (with a recommendation from the software). This option is mainly for the following scenarios:

1. The user wants to use a small drive for the OS since they're planning on using the option to remove the OS drive from the storage pool

2. The user wants to use a newer drive rather than an older drive for reliability (assume one new 500gb drive and one old 500 gb drive, the user may want to use the newer one)

3. The user wants to dictate which drive to use (for example, an SSD drive)

4. The user wants to use the largest drive, due to physical drive space limitations (only 4 drive bays) and they want to upgrade all of their drives down the line)

As you can see, some people would want the smallest drive to hold the OS, while others may want the largest drive to hold the OS. Providing this option would make more people happy.

Consider the following example WHS set up:

(assume duplication is turned off)

Example #1

Drive 1 = 500gb (OS V1)

Drive 2 = 1tb

Drive 3 = 2tb

Total space available is 3.5 TB. If the analysis reveals that less than 2 TB is free, then a new hard drive would be required. If more than 2 TB is free, then server re-install can continue (assuming that the 2tb drive would hold the OS)

While upgrading to Vail would defintely require an OS re-install, a program can be created so that the user doesn't have to manually move data. Basically, evaluate the system, provide options, proceed with emptying a hard drive, installing the Vail OS, then moving data over one drive at a time (move data from one V1 drive to a V2 drive, then add the newly empty V1 drive to the V2 pool, and continue with other drives until all the data is transfered.)

I hope this starts some discussion and that someone sees the benefit of proceeding with an option like this.

As far as data migration, what I have been doing is use the Computers & Backup Tab option to backup my shares to a non pooled drive. Then I plug this drive into my Vail setup and through a RDC, I see this drive and create new Vail shares based on my v1 shares name, then start copying the data over.

My problem with that approach is that I have 13 drives, that are mostly full. For me to upgrade, I'd have to remove all drives, and then install a new one, copy over a drive, install the newly empty one, copy data over, then repeat over and over. This ovbiously takes a LOT of time.

This is actually what I'm doing since I had to reinstall my server using a clean install. I started this process on Friday night, and I'll replay back when it's done (I'm assuming a week or two)