RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Mobile Update Releases

WolfJT

So, I got to thinking about Windows Phone platform and the update cycle, As a Win Phone user I am excited about the pending release of Phone 8.1. That excitement is also filled with frustration because it seems like it is taking forever for it to be released. It got me thinking about Android. Android seems to be the darling mobile OS lately. My work Galaxy S3 was updated in December with Droid version 4.3 and has yet seen the KitKatt update. It's been since November that KitKatt has been released. I'm beginning to think that maybe Win Phone 8.1 isn't all that late compared to other OS's. Win Phone had three updates last year. The good thing about 8.1 is all Win 8 handsets will be upgraded, and if you have the dev app you'll get it quicker then waiting for the carrier. I must say Microsoft's plan isn't as bad as I think it is after all this is one heck of a major update.

I think iOS is the only one doing it right. My tech-illiterate girlfriend was able to update both her iphone 5 and ipad2 before I got home from work the day it was released. With Android you have to roll the dice and hope your device becomes popular enough to get updates. Heck the galaxy S3 was one of the most popular Android devices ever and its still waiting on its second update like you said. If you wait it out to see which phone is popular, then you already lose out on a few months with the latest and greatest. All that being said, I do like how Android is bypassing the carriers by putting some core components of the OS, like keyboard and messaging apps, in the store so that you can use them with older versions. I think Darren might have mentioned something about this on one of the recent podcasts. As for Windows phone, I love that they make it so easy to register as a developer for free and update your device. I just did this today and man was that easier than any of the rooting on Android phones I've done in the past. However, I can't ever imagine Average Joe going through the process without someone holding his hand. That means its still up to the sloth-like carriers for the masses.

I agree with you though, Windows phone is doing a pretty good job with their smaller and then now this larger update. I've had a Windows phone 8 since they launched them back in November 2012 and I feel like I've seen way more OS updates than I have on any Android device I've ever owned.