RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
KiwiGlen

Problems Adding Media Center To Surface Pro 2

KiwiGlen

Hi,

I just got myself a Surface Pro 2 and want to add Media Center as I use My Movies and was looking at the Surface as a replacement for my Desktop PC.  I've tried using the "Add Features" wizard and it keeps saying "We couldn't process your order" and under that it says "Check your payment info and try again".  I've checked and rechecked the payment details and they are fine.  I've used several different credit cards and get the same result.

So I called Microsoft support, what a fun experience that has been, I've talked to the Store, Technical Support, Windows Support, Accounts and Billing, Surface Support and even got to the tier 2 technical support.  But they each say its nothing they can help with and send me to another area. It appears there is no way to purchase Media Center apart from via the add features wizard.

I've got TechNet so I even setup another Windows 8 Pro machine under Hyper-V and tried to purchase a key via that but that didn't work either.

I tried linking the Surface to an old ADSL modem I've got and used that for my internet connection with the firewall on the modem turned off and the windows firewall also turned off, I know not overly safe but I was running out of ideas by then, but still I get the same error.

I've tried doing reinstalling windows from PC Setting's and using a new Microsoft account to make sure it wasn't something to do with my account, but no joy.

There are no messages in the event log.

Does anybody here have any other ideas?  I'm pretty much all out of ideas, I've spent the last week trying different things and still no joy.

Has anybody added Media Center to their Surface Pro 2 in the last little while and did it work?

Glen

schoondoggy

Do you have a WMC key?

KiwiGlen

Nope that's what I'm trying to buy.

schoondoggy

Got it, if time permits I will be building a Windows 8 pro system this week and plan to have WMC on it. I will see how it goes for me.

Dave

I added it to my Surface Pro 2 but that was months ago.  I did it via "Add Features" as you mentioned.

Did all of this take place in a single time period? Meaning, maybe they had a server issue and retry it now?

KiwiGlen

I've been trying for a week, I would have thought it would be sorted by now if it was a server issue.

Dave

Yup, agreed. Tweeted it for some help.

KiwiGlen

Schoondog

If it does work for you, is there any chance of you being able to cancel out of the process once you get the key but before it installs it and then see if you can purchase a second one for me?  I'll pay you for it via PayPal.

Glen