RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
krolichka

Is It Big Difference Between 1 And 2 Pro?

krolichka

Hi i just bought surface pro1 for approx 400 dollars new. But i want to know if its a big difference between pro 1 and 2? Surface pro 2 is so much more expensive, but if the processor is much faster i might go for that instead? I plan to use it for sculpting in mudbox, sculptris and blender. Also do some 2d sketching in sketchbook.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Biggest difference is the pro2 battery lasts more than twice as long. There is also an option for 8 GB's of memory on the 2.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

SurfaceProArtist

@krolichka you won't notice much of a performance difference between the two models until you start reaching the RAM limits of your Surface Pro. $400 is an excellent deal and it's only possible because the model is being cleared out. I paid $1000 for my Surface Pro in February, 2013. You sound like the perfect target user for my blog SurfaceProArtist.com. Hope you'll stop by and say hello.

krolichka

Thanks i have some more questions. I installed sculptris before i updated to win 8.1 and it worked fine. Now after update it doesnt start, how can i fix that? I tried uninstall, download it again and install but doesnt work anymore.

Another thing, my surface pro 1 gets really warm. How do you use it, can i have it in my lap or will that block the fans? Can i put the surface pro upside down so that the fans blow the other way, can i then turn my desktop upside down and all my programs? Is therea setting in the windows prefs for doing that?

SurfaceProArtist

Sculptris runs fine for me on the Surface Pro and Windows 8.1 Update. A while back, I published this: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/5/26/sculptris-and-sketchook-pro-canvas-rotation-are-back Maybe it will help?

The Surface Pro shouldn't care how you hold it. The fan vents are actually on the upper sides. The screen will rotate automatically (although Windows doesn't work too well in portrait mode). If your display isn't rotating, look under Settings, Screen. Tap the icon to lock or unlock your rotation. 

To try to lower heat, you should look at your power profile and adjust advanced settings to turn off features you're not using. I create a battery saving profile, adjusted balanced setting and a high performance setting (for when I want to make sure the machine doesn't go to sleep in the middle of a big download or other critical operation). As you can imagine, the last setting is the hottest.