RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Venue 11 Pro - Atom Bay Trail

WireBoy

I'd love to hear more about experiences and thoughts on the Dell Venue 11 Pro, particularly the Bay Trail model and the mobile keyboard dock with extra battery.  I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and an Asus T100 and really like both.  However, the Venue 11 recently caught my attention.  I like the higher screen resolution, longer run time with the extra dock battery, a bump in CPU performance, slightly larger screen than T100, and likely better build quality.  A colleague ordered the tablet and keyboard dock from B&H Photo today for a really nice price with the bonus of free shipping and no tax.  I'd probably replace the T100 with the Venue 11.  I keep the V8P in my travel kit, so I'd be keeping it.  Talk to me, people.  I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

wish I could help ya I also had the venue pro 8 and while I thought it was a very well built tablet for the price it was too small for me. If the pro 11 is anything like the 8 I wouldn't hesitate in getting it, IMO the baytrail processor is pretty good and sets a new standard for cheaper processors.

• 5 months later...

I bought a Venue 11 Pro (5130, the least expensive model with the Atom Z3770) in late June. This was the review I posted on the Microcenter site:

I bought the least powerful version, the one with an Atom processor, so I did not expect this to be a powerhouse. On the other hand, I am not transcoding videos or playing cpu-sucking games with it, I am surfing the web, watching video (both local MP4 and via Netflix), and light Office. It works just fine for that sort of thing. Battery life has been good, although I haven't tried to use it for more than about 4 hours without recharging it. Just haven't had the need. When I first bought it I had trouble with the Dell slim keyboard but updating the BIOS (to A07 I think) fixed that. Then I experienced trouble with the wireless. It was fine out of the box but after applying available Win 8.1 updates it quit. A Win 8 "recover" would make it work again but then updates broke it. I finally called Dell and this must be a known issue because with little explanation he had me uninstall 3 already-present Win 8 hotfixes, let them reinstall themselves, and then do the normal Win 8 updates. Wi-Fi hasn't been a problem since. I really like the screen size, much smaller and doing remote desktop work becomes (for me at least) too difficult. The touch screen is accurate, all the standard gestures work as expected. Office 2013 (student) activated without difficulty. I haven't tried to Skype with it so I don't have any comments on that. I put a 64 G microSD card in for media and that works fine. The whole thing was hundreds less than a comparably equipped Surface 2 and I am quite happy with it.

Since I wrote that review I've continued to use it and be happy with it. Unfortunately, about a week ago I removed the battery to troubleshoot an issue and I failed to do that with the tablet on a flat surface. Reinserting the battery and putting on the back cover, which takes some considerable pressure to get it all clicked back on, I somehow cracked the screen. So now the touch screen doesn't work at all. It still runs and responds as expected to a mouse and the Dell slim keyboard. Unfortunately I have been completely unable (so far) in acquiring a replacement part. I am confident that I can replace it if I can only get the part! Plus that would be more fun to work on it myself than just sending it in for someone else to repair.

• 7 months later...

Update to previous post: I paid for Dell repair of the screen as I was unsuccessful in finding a replacement part myself. Shortly after it was revived my college-attending daughter took it as a replacement for the iPad she had been using. I haven't had the use of it since then. She reports that it is a great about-campus companion with everything she needs (Student Office was included), much lighter than her laptop, great battery life, etc. The only change we made was to replace the Dell slim keyboard with the Dell mobile keyboard. That one comes with a supplemental battery and the key action is much better, especially if the really flat, or even just touch, keyboards are not to your liking. Not for heavy CPU activities, but works fine for lighter uses and content consumption.