RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Iso Number Pad Solution

Hi everyone,

I hope someone here can help me. I just bought a Surface Pro 2, and am loving it. However, one thing that I need to find a solution to is character codes.  I use dozens of special characters a day, and so typing out character codes is second nature to me (©, ®, °, é, •, etc.) I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for how to type (efficiently) character codes on a Surface, since it does not have a number pad. (For those not familiar with character codes, to type © for example, you would make sure Num Lock is turned on on a standard keyboard, and then hold down Alt and type 0169 using the number pad. This cannot be accomplished using the numbers above the QWERTY keys.) The experts at the Microsoft Store confirmed that I can't type character codes on my Surface keyboard. So I'm looking for some sort of solution. For some bizarre reason, the bluetooth number pads (Microsoft and Logitech) are discontinued and CRAZY expensive (look on Amazon or Ebay, all upwards of $150 or $200 depending on brand). I have a cheap USB number pad, but when I hook it up (to the one coveted USB port), it doesn't work with the SP2.

Most of the time I expect to have my SP2 hooked up to a docking station with a traditional keyboard, but for those times when I'm not (which seems to be more and more, now that I can truly be portable thanks to the SP2), I really need to figure out a work-around.

Thanks in advance,

Kamala

• 5 months later...

A possible solution is to turn on the on-screen keyboard (the one in the Ease of Access Centre) and enable the num-pad there. This works but I've found you need to press an additional number on the num-pad after typing the alt code to get it to work.

For example pressing ALT+2+4+8 followed by 2 should give you the degrees symbol.

Sorry that it's not the most convenient of solutions.

Edited by CodaCoda

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Truxi
      By Truxi
      Hi there, newbie here.  Just got myself a Surface Pro 2, and I'm looking to put some software on it.  I bought a copy of Manga Studio Ex 4.0 awhile back, but it's on disk.  Is there a way for me to install it?  Preferably without having to buy another piece of hardware?

I tried putting the disc contents on a jump drive, and that seemed to work, but after I put in my serial number, it told me it couldn't do things until I put the disc in.

Thanks!
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      hi again!

i wonder if service pack 2 for mdbx 2014 is the equal for 2014.5?

i downloaded it even before install it, but again the nasty stupid error about the graphics.

i redownloaded after install it, the same error... restarted the sp2, nothing.

what did i miss? instructions said not to uninstall it!

agghh
    • TheWelshMaggot
      By TheWelshMaggot
      Hi,
      I am new to tablets, always had desktops and laptops so never had any experience with scaling. I have my res on my new surface pro set to recommended but I still get an error as you see below.

I have worked out how to turn the scaling off for some programs but the settings for some things don't fully fit on the screen. I have set my task-bar to auto hide to help this but with some programs I cannot see certain parts, and in some settings I cannot see the apply, cancel and OK row. I have taken some screenshots to show what I mean.

This is with the taskbar auto hidden or I would not be able to click without shift guessing.

This is a little irritating and I am looking for a work around or am I being stupid and missing something really simple?

I have been searching google and the forums but not really finding anything.

Any help/tips appreciated.
      Thanks
    • PRSmith
      By PRSmith
      I bought a Surface Pro 2 in Europe with the Touch Cover 2. The Touch Cover 2 has the EU QWERTZ layout versus the North American QWERTY keyboard. That I could live with BUT the SP@ doesn't recognize the QWEERTZ layout an a bunch of keys don't work correctly. I chatted with MS Support and their answers was the TC2 must be broken. Not likely in my mind, must be a setting somewhere - HELP
    • reiaya
      By reiaya
      does anybody witj illustrator cs6 using the default stylus has the same problem as me, of the stylus never releasing? I zoom in, make an square and releas to see an specific part of my drawing... but for some reason my stylus nevé release, and so continues zoom in in and in and in.... until I select another tool, making my zoom tool rather unusable. someone help!