RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Clarkb

Trying To Like The 1520 But Struggling

Clarkb

Currently have a 920 but find I still carry three devices (phone, 7 inch tablet, Surface) and would like to try to reduce that to two.

Have been trialing a 1520 for a couple of days and while there are many things I like about it the major challenge I am having, not surprisingly, is one handed operation.  While some of it may be the newness of the device, I remember the 920 felt HUGE when I moved from the 800, I just can't help but feel I'm on the edge of dropping the 1520 when I one hand it.

I've set up the start screen w/most frequently used tiles clustered towards the right hand side as I hold the phone in my right hand.  But still a challenge as apps tend to left align items and controls, making it a stretch from the right side and its pretty much impossible for me to reach the back button without precariously twisting the phone in my hand to reach it.

I know this is a trade off with a larger device but any feedback from others with 1520s on this?  Have you gotten used to the awkward one hand feel?  Did you just adapt and use two hands?

As a side note one of the humorous "challenges" of the 1520 was filling up the Start screen.  I've worked very hard to tune the live tiles on my 920 to get the maximum number of tiles, sizes and locations to optimize the screen real estate.  With the 1520 I had almost the opposite challenge which was trying to decide what else to add to the start screen to make use of all of the screen space.  And while my 920 has ~ three panes of start screen, on the 1520 I only overlap one row onto the second pane.

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback.

Clark

HiTechRedneck6494

I've had mine for almost two weeks now. I had the 920 before that and Samsung Focus before that. Steadily moving to bigger devices. I can get most of the 1520 with one hand but there are several times I've had to use two hands now. I found myself trying to slide it up and down in my hand and almost dropping it several times.

still loving it though. Just also getting used to using both hands

callihan44

I had this phone for a week and while I loved the screen size for reading etc my issue was when on the go I really had no place to store the phone other than my back pocket, normally I have a side pocket on my shorts and jeans but the phone just wouldn't fit there. This drove me crazy so I down sized to the 1020 with a 4-1/2" screen. Im still waiting on a 5" screen windows phone and trying to keep myself from jumping on an HTC m8.

LawnPaul

Wait for the 930. Its the same as the icon. 5inch, amoled, 1080p, nice to hold.

Downside is no glance screen has been confirmed by Nokia.

Sent from my L920 using Tapatalk

Clarkb

Personal verdict is beautiful device, but 6" device is too big for my personal preference as a primary phone, and while consumption is nicer than on a 4.5, but still lacks compared to a 7 or 8 inch. 

Glad I was able to trial for a week before plunking down the $$.

mjgerrard

I struggle with the size for one-handedness, but the plus points of the size are so many that I put up with it (Browsing experience/SD card slot/battery/camera/etc). I couldn't do the Icon/930 because there's no SD card slot. In fact, I'm pretty much limited to 521, 630 or 1520 on that front, so it makes it an easy choice to be honest.

Candy

I was asked the other week by a colleague why I had a phone which was so hard to use one-handed.  When I thought about how I use my phones (all of them, not just the 1520), it turns out that I just don't.  I always operate it two handed.  He can't live with a device as large as the 1520 because of this.

On an unrelated note, has it ever been made clear why the US 1520 doesn't have wireless charging?  Along with the SD Card, it was one of the killer features that decided me on the 1520.

scottbakertemp1488993265

I tried taking some pictures with the 1520 at a Microsoft store.  I kept hitting the search button every time I held it to take a picture.

I was afraid if I didn't really hold on to the thing with both hands I was going to drop it.

Maybe I would've gotten used to it.

I was asked the other week by a colleague why I had a phone which was so hard to use one-handed.  When I thought about how I use my phones (all of them, not just the 1520), it turns out that I just don't.  I always operate it two handed.  He can't live with a device as large as the 1520 because of this.

On an unrelated note, has it ever been made clear why the US 1520 doesn't have wireless charging?  Along with the SD Card, it was one of the killer features that decided me on the 1520.

it doesn't support wireless charging because Nokia supported Qi and AT&T has a deal with PMA.  I assume the PMA deal happened after the 920.