RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
CommonTek

Start Menu Coming Back Later This Year

CommonTek

This has been a topic of discussion not just in these forums or on this podcast, but in the overall WIndows Community and press since W8 debuted.  A segment of the population wants the Start Menu like they are used to.  In 8.1 we saw the return of the Start Button in Icon form just to jump you into the Application Screen but that still wasn't good enough for many and now Microsoft has totally caved.  There are many pictures of the screen from Build floating around Twitter and the various tech outlets that show the new implementation so you can find them yourself (look at Tom Warren's Twitter Feed from today) but the Start Menu on the desktop does bring up a menu that is similar to W7 but also shows some of the Metro Icons. It will not be in the major 8.1 update coming within the month but will be part of another large update later this year.  Also coming later this year with the start menu is the ability for modern apps to run in the desktop environment if desired.

Hey Darren, just make sure you take a couple deep breathes during the Podcast tomorrow night :) I can't wait to hear what you and John have to say.  Without Dave there to moderate, I am looking forward to one hell of an entertaining podcast!

FinsUpDNC

I will do my best :).  The worst part of this whole thing was that apparently what they showed today was just a mock up, and they have nothing to show yet.  So who knows where it ends up........I still think they need two versions of windows. A desktop version that we all know and love, and a version for touch.  Some hybrids can have some combo like we see now.  They keep talking about the over 1 billion users you have, well you can't get 1 billion people to change their workflow overnight! 

CommonTek

Yeah. The positive is that MS felt very invigorated today, truly excited about where they think they are going and can be in a year, especially in mobile. Yes that is the point, to rally the troops and excite the devs and fans, but it had a different feel from the segments I saw. I am not sure if it is that Satya has given people in Redmond a new fire or what but something was slightly different in a good way... I think. Of course I could just be all doe eyed as I am loving my new Acer aspire s7 I just picked up yesterday :)

FinsUpDNC

awesome! s7 is a great machine, and if more were like that more people would "like" windows 8...

JWA0507

I'm excited for the future of windows.

callihan44

the start menu makes sense, I think that's the biggest issue with win 8. In desktop mode using a mouse ive had the charms bar interfere with scrolling and that gets annoying. I think all the bashing of windows 8 is overblown , if you put a gun to people's head and forced them to use it I think most would come away thinking it's not that bad at all.

CommonTek

I agree, most people just hate change. When office went to the ribbon, co-workers lost thirty mind's but now most love it. Change management is always the largest hurdle.