RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Goes License Fee Free

CommonTek

So this was an interesting piece of news during the keynote as well, and something that I think was a good move.  Microsoft has made windows (Window 8/8.1 and Windows Phone) free for all screens under 9".  Now we can get into the debate over the experience of full windows on an 8" or 9" device but I think the big one is that Windows Phone as gone free to encourage support from device manufacturers.  This is a step in the right direction, will only help mobile devices get to market, and hopefully at cheaper price points (although I am not sure what the licensing fee was to begin with).  Windows Phone Central also notes that this will help with wearable tech (to come?) and home automation devices. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

The SDM R4 is a bracket that facilitates mounting two additional 2.5″ drives in a HP MicroServer Gen8. There are also mounting holes for fans across the bottom to help cool RAID/SATA cards. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.

With optional Stackers you can run four 2.5″ drives on the SDM R4. The SDM R4 will support four 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run four drives on the SDM R4, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair, four drives will require two SSB kits. Because of the size of the SDM R4, if you are going to boot your server using the internal USB port, you will need to use a USB stick that is shorter than 1″. For more information on mounting instructions look here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

The SDM R3.5 is in stock and ready to ship!

The SDM R3.5 is a bracket that facilitates mounting one additional 2.5″ drive in a HP MicroServer Gen8. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.
      With optional Stackers you can run two 2.5″ drives on the SDM R3.5. The SDM R3.5 will support two 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run two drives on the SDM R3.5, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair. For more information on mounting instructions look here:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

SSB-9.5 for 9.5mm drives $10

Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets can be used to stack two 2.5” drives. All screws are included

SSB-7 for 7mm drives $10

SOC-MSG8-R1 kit for 9.5mm optical drives to latch it in place. Screws included $9.

The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

• Server Grunt
      By Server Grunt
      Taking a new shot at this

I am still in a thinking period and I would appreciate some additional input from you.
      The reason is that some external factors have been changed and that I have discovered more of what I really need

Environment/Limitations
      The space available only allows for one large tower and I have narrowed it down to a Lian li Armorsuit PC-P80 or PC-A70F – I also have some possibility to place a SAN box “remotely” in the network or in a small space in the same room

Usage scenarios and environment
      As previously said the basic plan is to run a one box virtual environment using Server 2008 R2 as host and that would also manage my home NW environment, group policies etc.
      Guests would include
      WHS2011 production server
      WHS 2011 test server
      W7 Production PC – work and play
      W7 test pc
      W8 test pc

Usage/tasks
      WHS for storage and back up
      W7 for work and gaming – see below (NEW)
      W7 or WHS for media management (transcoding, photo editing etc.)

Raid cards and SAN card
      Previous suggestions was for one expensivehttp://www.newegg.co...N82E16816115095card to cover all of the 20 storage HDDs and 4 to 6 host and guest system SSD. Is this one card to prefer over 2 less expensive cards, concidering my usage scenarios
      Now, to be able to accommodate the possible graphics cards I would probably need to remove one of the storage cages (5 HDDs) to house the SSDs at the bottom (this will also create a freeer cool air flow)
      This would mean that any expansion would be in an external case that needs to be connected. eSata has already been discarded, but what about using a SAN card to connect?

Gaming
      Now concerning gaming – I have realized that I would like to have some fairly high end gaming capabilities (read BF3 and similar) This would probably mean that I would insert 2 fairly large and hot graphic cards, in addition to the 1 (or 2) RAID cards (depending on set-up (separate discussion above) and a possible SAN card (see expansion above)

Would it be wise or even really possible to fit the hardware that would support server, transcoding and heavy gaming in a system that would run 24/7 365?
      Wolud any reasonable system that fits in a fairly normal case and not being prohibitory expensive manage this?

Cooling
      Both cases have a lot of fans and with the new possible gaming set-up I am also concidering CPU and GPU water cooling, using pre-assembled systems such as a corsair unit for CPU, but do not know what to use for GPU – are ther any integrated units. The CoolIT 180 Epic would be nice, though ;-)
      The caveat is that I do not know the mounting capabilities of the cases for this.

Maybe a little bit of a confusing post but hope that you are able to give some input.

//Grunt
    • Server Grunt
      By Server Grunt
      Hi all,

I am looking into building a server/home server and virtual host and whilst I have many ideas and some pre-requisites I do need advice and insight into how to best realize.

To my ideas

Usage
      My basic idea is to use virtualization based on server 2008 R2 to host production WHS 2011, Win 7, as well as experiment WHS 2011 and Win 7. The 2008 server would also function as my domain host, active directory manager and net work control center.

Case
      Use tower form factor (home limitations excludes rack that would have been wonderful to use) – As I want to have as few boxes as possible I am looking at a full tower/server style box with as many HDD places as possible. Current candidates are:
      Lian Li: PC-343b, PC-P80B/N, PC-A77FB, PC-2150
      Antec – 1200
      Xigmatek Elysium Black

System drive
      My idea was to use a mirrored SSD set up (2 SSD in a 3.5 raid backplane mount) for the host OS and a similar, separate, set-up to host the virtual guests.
      Now, most cases have the ability to add one or more system drives, often 2.5” as system drives
      However, my planned set up I will use all 3.5 spaces and the one SSD special mount that the Antec has, for example, is not enough.

Question: Any suggestions on how to solve this

Storage
      All of these have 12 external 5.25”, except PC-343b which has 18.
      The idea is to use 5.25” to 3.5” converters and try to fit as may HDDs as possible.
      Ex: http://www.polywell.com/us/storage/NetDisk9020H.asp ( Antec 1200 based
      Or
      http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1327338 (Lian-li PC-343b based)

I have aneed for this amount of storage

Motherboard
      All these cases allows for big, powerful motherboards, so the question is really if to go for a PC or server board,

CPU:
      Should I go for a Sandy bridge or a 1 or 2 Xenon processor set-up?

CPU cooling
      Low noise is prioritized, but the size of the cases enables very large passiv or active cooler Question: Recommended CPU cooler?

Case and HDD Cooling
      Fans, fans, fans. These are high spec cases that have ample fan placements to cool any type of build, but noise is an issue and therefore prioritized
      Question
      what fans to use to get the best noise to air movement ratio?
      If I use 5.25 to 3.5 cases, some of these come with mountable fans to push/draw air over the HDDs – Considering that here will be a number of fans at the back managing cooling, would such fans improve or actually make cooling more inefficient?

Power
      All allow for high power PSU, some even for redundant PSU – something I am considering. It will be a server after all. However, having red up on these I will go with a normal PSU
      Question:
      Using some rule of thumb, I calculated a need of over 1200W – can this be right?
      What kind of power do I need? Using a

RAM
      I will go for g.skill and put as much as I can in the box

RAM cooling
      Something good or just stupid?

Ethernet
      Question: Should I go with a two Ethernet MB or use an expansion card?

RAID
      Go or no go? – your take

If go:
      Raid card
      Questions:
      What raid card set up do you recommend?
      Which models of RAID cards do you suggest?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this matter

//Grunt
    • Server Grunt
      By Server Grunt
      Hi,

I am planning to build a small computer to handle TV-related tasks, including:
      • Receive tv-signals (four external usb-cards)
      • Distribute cards (with DVB-link) – 2-4 TV:s and up to 3-mobile units
      • Record tv
      • Clean out commercials
      The capacity of the computer should be such as it can do all these tasks at the same time

Ideas and pre-requisites
      • Placed in cupboard so it has to run cool – but also quiet (prefer fan less, but ultra quiet is acceptable)
      • SSD for system drive
      • Small/slim form factor
      • Second/storage HDD can be external (usb 3.0)
      • Headless and remotely managed

Any suggestions on HW and SW appreciated

//Grunt