RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vail and SpinRite

AllToga

I'm an owner of SpinRite and it's helped me with a lot of problems with hard drives. The one thing it cannot currently do is repair a hard drive that was part of a multidrive pool from WHS V1. It detects that the drive think's it's larger than it physically is (and assumes it was part of a RAID array) and does not want to touch it. There's no way around this functionality.

My question is, since WHS Vail is changing the way Drive Extender works, will the drives be SpinRite-able?

Unfortunately, I cannot test this myself. This test should be easy, build a Vail server with 2 or more physical drives, add them to the pool, then try to run spinrite. If it works great!! This would be a great boost, since every so often, I could take the server offline, spinrite each drive, and get it back up and running. Or if a drive fails or starts to fail, I can spinrite it then remove it from the pool with little or no data loss.

This might be a good question for Mr. Gibson. The short way around this is to monitor the health and replace the drive as needed. When freed from the pool, run Spin Rite at that point and let this drive be your ready available spare.

I've actually asked him about why SpinRite doesn't support WHS v1, but he basically said that since it's software raid, spinrite won't touch it. And we all know how frequently he updates his software (on the other hand, if it's not broken, don't fix it)

I was hoping that someone with a Vail test box (with 2 or more drives) and SpinRite could just pop in the disc and see if it works.

I have used SpinRite on my homebuilt WHS v1 multiple times. Just stick it into the cd drive, boot up, select the harddrives one at a time, and let 'er rip. SpinRite doesn't do anything to the file system.

My system only has 3 drives, so that may be why it works for me.

Edited by whsvet

I have used SpinRite on my homebuilt WHS v1 multiple times. Just stick it into the cd drive, boot up, select the harddrives one at a time, and let 'er rip. SpinRite doesn't do anything to the file system.

Weird, I had a problem with spinrite running on a WHS homebuild with more than one drive in the pool. Maybe after my server is back up and running I'll try it again.

I would stay away from SpinRite and WHS v1 or Vail/Aurora, Drive Extender is finiky. If you want to keep an eye on your drives, use the SMART add-in http://www.homeserverland.com/b/hslblog/archive/2010/11/03/add-in-update-home-server-smart.aspx

I thought SpinRite worked below the file system level, at the drive sector level. My understanding is that working this way should not affect Drive Extender, since it works at the deep level.

UPDATE: I was able to run spinrite on my new server. There were not any errors, like I previously said. The only difference is my old (old) server had only IDE drives in it. Maybe that was what was causing the errors. I just ran spinrite on my WHS with multiple drives, which are all sata, and it worked fine.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I'm an owner of SpinRite and it's helped me with a lot of problems with hard drives. The one thing it cannot currently do is repair a hard drive that was part of a multidrive pool from WHS V1. It detects that the drive think's it's larger than it physically is (and assumes it was part of a RAID array) and does not want to touch it. There's no way around this functionality.

My question is, since WHS Vail is changing the way Drive Extender works, will the drives be SpinRite-able?

Unfortunately, I cannot test this myself. This test should be easy, build a Vail server with 2 or more physical drives, add them to the pool, then try to run spinrite. If it works great!! This would be a great boost, since every so often, I could take the server offline, spinrite each drive, and get it back up and running. Or if a drive fails or starts to fail, I can spinrite it then remove it from the pool with little or no data loss.

OK - that explains why my spinrite wont work all of a sudden. :(

HDD Regenerator has succesfuly repaired my disks in Spinrites place though.