RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nickolai

Which Stylus For Surface Pro Do You Like Best?

Nickolai

Thanks for the explanation.

Wow, that stylus does rely heavily on hardware support, and the company seems to take time to release drivers even for Windows. I wonder what the situation will be for me with Ubuntu and whether it's such a good idea to use Surface Pro with Linux after all. Well, there's one way to find out.

SurfaceProArtist

You're thinking of installing Ubuntu on the Surface Pro?!? Good luck with that. Why would you want to do that? In all likelihood, most Linux software won't have a way to deal with the Surface Pro's hardware, especially the active digitizer (pen layer).

I guess you're not the only crazy one. Found this guide: http://www.geek.com/microsoft/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-the-surface-pro-1539262/.

Nickolai

Why would you want to do that?

Because I use Ubuntu, I like it and I want to continue using it.

I like Surface Pro's hardware and I hope it will be able to work well enough with Ubuntu. I'm not sure there are any worthy alternatives to Surface Pro, really.

I hope Surface Pro 2 will be an upgrade compared to ThinkPad X240 / ThinkPad Yoga that Lenovo failed to deliver, but Microsoft did instead; and there won't be any show-stopping problems.

I guess you're not the only crazy one. Found this guide: http://www.geek.com/microsoft/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-the-surface-pro-1539262/.

This guide is old (3 versions of Ubuntu were released since that point) and very superficial. There's a thread on Ubuntu forums that documents people's experience installing and using the last version, 13.10, on Surface Pro 2. There were many issues, but at least someone was able to make 13.10 run pretty well on SP2. I hope things will get better with the recently-released 14.04 and later.

In all likelihood, most Linux software won't have a way to deal with the Surface Pro's hardware, especially the active digitizer (pen layer).

I hope it will work where it is needed, and will work as a mouse replacement in other places. I'm not sure how much special support is actually needed. Do all Windows programs support the active digitizer?

Lenovo (and IBM before that) was making X series convertible laptop/tablet computers since the dawn of time, way before the recent iPad-induced tablet craze. I was considering getting myself one of these, but finally decided against it.  They worked with the regular version of Windows by default, and Ubuntu was tested to run on those, too.

Hopefully, with 14.04 it is ready enough to run on Surface Pro 2. Ubuntu actually had a goal for full convergence (the same OS and programs should be able to run across phone, tablet, PC and TV) for 14.04 (2014, April) but it was postponed for a year or so. Still, I think, of all Linux distributions, Ubuntu might be in the best position to run on tablets, because it made touch-enabled devices its strategic goal and is actively pushing for years in that direction, even going as far as adopting unpopular measures and risking alienating their existing users (for the sake of future tablet users, apparently); also it has a corporation backing it, even if it is the one with quite a limited budget.

"Good luck with that."

Thanks, I'll need it.

Edited by Nickolai

SurfaceProArtist

I have the Thinkpad Yoga and like it a lot. It's sitting on my lap as I type this. What don't you like about it?

Nickolai

Chiefly, I'd like my computer to be more portable than that, if possible. Is it compatible with a docking station? If not, then this, too.

Other than that, non-expandable memory and Wi-Fi cards that tend to self-destruct, as some users report, are minor issues.

I would have considered ThinkPad Yoga a good upgrade to a ThinkPad that I use now, if Surface Pro didn't exist. But it does, so I am considering SP2 as a potentially much better one. It's a bet, surely, but it's the one I take consciously.

Edited by Nickolai

LazyZen

Hi!

Would to know, exist some stylus for SP2 with angle tilt?

SurfaceProArtist

I don't think any exist. I believe that tilt recognition is something that Wacom reserved for its own devices not tablet PCs.

rtudds

Hi thanks for the review,i have ordered a Fujitsu t5000 because of it ,if its good for an  artist, its good for me fella.

I stumbled on you're blog ,because I am finding it very difficult to obtain an original sp2 stylus here in uk, even on amazon, staples, etc etc they all seem to be pushing the sp3 ntrig

So I thought dam it ill see what else there is lol.Delivery tomorrow so ill get to work on testing it out.thx though for the reviews.

Edited by rtudds

SurfaceProArtist

How are you liking it so far @rtudds?

rtudds

Yeah great thx,, its awesome , I keep  thinking the eraser is gonna damage the screen,but nope its perfect. You can write tiny ,like it's very accurate.

I would definitely recommend this stylus.

• Like 1