RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Nickolai

Which Stylus For Surface Pro Do You Like Best?

Nickolai

Which stylus for Surface Pro do you like best?

I'm going to buy a Surface Pro 2 and I wonder whether one of the other styluses that are is superior to the stock one? Maybe non-Microsoft one?

SurfaceProArtist

I review all the replacement pens I can find over at my blog. Just search for "pens."

My two top picks among pens that are readily available on Amazon are the Wacom Bamboo Stylus Feel - Carbon and the Fujitsu T5000.

Nickolai

I review all the replacement pens I can find over at my blog. Just search for "pens."

My two top picks among pens that are readily available on Amazon are the Wacom Bamboo Stylus Feel - Carbon and the Fujitsu T5000.

Thank you very much! You seem to have very thoroughly reviewed all of them. So your advice is not to bother with any replacement stylus from Microsoft?

Wait, where are they? I think there were other options than $29.99 "Surface Pro Pen" in the store.

SurfaceProArtist

No, Microsoft only markets the one pen. But the biggest issue with the standard stylus (besides its chintzy feel) is that there are no replacement nibs available for it. Once you wear down the current nib, you've got to buy a replacement pen. Nibs from other replacement pens don't fit in the Microsoft pen.

SurfaceProArtist

All of those are capacitive pens that work to mimic touch on the Surface 2 or Surface RT. They will not work with the Surface Pro 1 or 2.

Nickolai

Ah, I see. I assumed that regular and Pro Surface have the same touch screen.

SurfaceProArtist

No, that's one of the big selling points for the Surface Pro line. They are equipped with active digitizers made by Wacom, which recognize 1024 levels of pressure. This results in a much more natural line when writing or drawing.

Nickolai

Thanks for your advice and wonderful reviews on your site!

What are first and second buttons on a stylus used for?

Do any of the two replacement pens you listed magnetically attach to Surface Pro 2, like the original pen does?

SurfaceProArtist

No, only the standard pen attaches that way.

The pen buttons can be mapped to perform different actions, such as right click, middle click, keystroke combinations, etc. Take a look at my preview of the new Wacom Feel driver which shows screen shots of the button configuration control panel. http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/4/17/wacom-updates-feel-drivers