RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't copy data from MSS

diggityDawg

I'm having major issues trying to copy files & folders from one share to another on my MSS. This has just happened within the past couple weeks. Not sure if it's related to an update on the server or a Windows 7 update on my PC, but it's driving me nuts. So here's the deal: I download audio and video (podcasts, whatnot...) to my MSS using an automated tool. Then I browse to the "Download" share from my desktop PC and move the files to a "Videos" share on the same home server. When I do it starts to do it, then I get an error saying something like this:

The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.

Close the folder or file and try again.

I try copying the same folder or file and I get the same error. Once I clicked the "Try Again" button and it removed the file from both locations! No idea where it went... It's now becoming a major pain because I can't access the media to play it back from the Downloads share, but I can't get it off of there either... I tried rebooting the server, and rebooting the desktop, but it still does it. BTW, I'm on a MSS EX490, running WHS 3.0.

Anyone seen this before and have any idea how I might fix it??

Thanks!

Eddie

Is your podcast downloader keeping the files open or doing something in the folder? Close that software and see if it works?

Is your podcast downloader keeping the files open or doing something in the folder? Close that software and see if it works?

Thanks for your reply. That's the first thing I tried, but didn't make a difference. Also, this process has been working fine for over a year, and then two weeks ago started doing this, so I don't think it's related to existing applications that worked fine previously.

Have you tried copying the files, instead of moving them - and then delete them afterwards ??

I'm doing downloads to my W7 workstation using grabit, and then moving files to my WHS (also an MSS EX490). I sometimes get the same error, but only when I try move a folder than is also open in file explorer. I think that the folder images are displaying and therefore open - which prevents deleting the complete folder. Whenever that happens I just copy the file across and delete the files afterwards.

Have you tried to RDP into the server and see what files are open?

I have RDP'd into the server but there are no files open. I was able to move the files when remoted in though. No error, no delay, just moved the directories and files from one share to the other. So this seems to be a Windows 7 (client) thing only...

Have you tried copying the files, instead of moving them - and then delete them afterwards ??

I have tried copying too but I get the same error. At least with copying it doesn't seem to incinerate the files... Interestingly, I tried copying files from my wife's laptop, which is running Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) and got the same error. I am running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). I do have full permissions set for both shares, even for Guest account...

I see this issue all the time with a File Server we maintain for our employees. Users without Admin rights can upload video and audio files to one specific folder. The Admins will then take those files and move them to the appropriate folders for audio and video.

I see the issue when the Admins try to "move" the files via dragging rather than copying and pasting. This seems to free the junction points and the original can be deleted. We only started seeing this when Vista and 7 were released and we were working with a 2003 R2 Server. We have migrated to a 2008R2 platform and don't see this issue as much any more.

I tried copying (Ctrl-C) and then pasting (Ctrl-V) on the folder, and now I got this error (which, now that I think about it, I have gotten a lot of as well):

There is a problem accessing [foldername\filename]

Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.

Insane.

run this form a command prompt and then reboot both server and clients:

ipconfig /flushdns

reboot the server first (if unable to RDP) run this from an elevated command on the client:

shutdown -i

in the GUI, enter the DNS name (or IP Address) of the server, select restart and a description to reboot