RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
robjansen

Surface 2 Hdmi Output Resolution

robjansen

Hello.

I currently use the original Surface RT, when using a cable to connect to my HDMI (1080p monitor), I can only run on 1024x768 with apps or 1280x720 but no apps when duplicating.

Has the Surface 2 a higher output resolution like 1920x1080 or at least 1366x768 when using a microHDMI to HDMI when duplicating?

Maybe then I will upgrade later on to another Surface 2 instead of the original RT.

JohnTW

Using a standard off the shelf micro-HDM to HDMI cable (no adapter from Microsoft), the Surface 2 outputs full 1080p signal in both mirrored and extended display modes. It is one of the sharper images I have seen outputted by my devices.

schoondoggy

The original Surface RT will support 1080 on HDMI. Have you tried extending the screen instead of duplicating?

I should add, if you need to duplicate and you want it to be 1080 the Surface 2 will do that.

robjansen

Thank you for answering my question.

I know about extending, but when showing some pictures/video's taken with my Nokia Lumia phone (of a vacation or something else) via the Photo's App, it is handy to control the screen with the surface instead of a mouse attached to it, since what you do on the screen you see it also on the monitor, so that is why I asked about mirroring with 1080p.

Since 1024x768 is the older 4:3 resolution, I can change it with custom scaling on my monitor to show the HDMI input as 4:3 instead of 16:9 (that way it doesn't look stretched), but it only utilizes only a small portion of the screen size then.

Are there any further improvements of the Surface 2 over the Surface RT (original) besides the kickstand, the 1080p output and a faster Tegra 4 for better graphics?
Is the Tegra 4 much better at CPU / Graphics performance then the Tegra 3?

robjansen

Sorry to add a double post, but I can't seem to edit my one posted.

Could it maybe be a good choice to spent a few extra bucks to buy the original Surface Pro or better save it for a Surface Pro 2 instead of the regular Surface with RT?
Also what is better to chose if you chose the Surface Pro, the original or 2?

Since it doesn't offer a whole lot extra, just a newer CPU, slightly better build-in graphics but it does offer a lot more battery life, it is justifiable the more expensive price, does both also do 1080p mirroring?

JohnTW

I think a Surface Pro 1 only makes sense if you buy the Power Keyboard. Even with the Power Keyboard, your battery life is 6-7 hours. Surface Pro 2 with a Power Keyboard is a great solution as well, but gets pricey quick.  If you enjoy your RT, a Surface 2 is a dine upgrade. Especially performance wise. Everything except the Surface RT outputs 1080p in all modes. Surface RT only in extend mode. I assume you have at least one Touch or Type Cover already?

It all depends on your budget...

Pro + Power Keyboard $800

Pro 2 + Power Keyboard $1100 (Could go without obviously)

Surface 2 = $449-679 (Power Keyboard always an option but likely not needed)

All options make sense. Good Luck!

The overall system performance is much improved with the Surface 2. It is noticeable beyond graphically dependent applications.

robjansen

Thanks once again.

But I am afraid the Power Keyboard is no option, since it is not available in my country (The Netherlands).

My original Surface RT did come with the Touch Keyboard included, and it should work on 2 as well.

But I have been thinking what I actually do beyond using the Internet, Mail and some store Apps, which is pretty much nothing, so the best thing is the regular Surface 2 for me.

schoondoggy

I understand your concern about extending the screen. My thought was to extend and use a trackpad that supports the same gestures as win 8.1RT. The Logitech T650 has potential, but I dont know if it is fully functional:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointing-Devices/Touchpad-T650-Dual-Monitor/td-p/909600

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/touchpad-t650

There may be other devices that will work.