RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Issues With Nokia 2520 Power Keyboard

pfinter

Now that I have had my power keyboard for a while, I am starting to notice some issues.

1. When the battery in the keyboard runs out, the tablet shuts down without warning. If I take the tablet out of the keyboard case, I can reboot the keyboard and my tablet has a full charge.

- It is my understanding that this isn't how this should have worked.

- Keyboard battery is a supplement to the tablets battery.

- Keyboard battery drains first and then the tablets battery kicks in.

- Keyboard battery is charged after the tablet's battery is charged.

- What I am seeing

- If the tablet's battery runs out, windows will notify then shutdown.

- If the keyboards battery runs out, then the tablet just dies. Any unsaved work is lost.

2. Sometimes I have issues with the tablet not recognizing that the keyboard is connected. At this point I then go through a routine of making sure the tablet is seated correctly in the keyboard. If it is, I then reboot the tablet. Shouldn't have to do this.

3. Sometimes when I remove the tablet from the keyboard, the tablet is no-longer responsive (possibly shut off) I think this issue is related to the first issue.

4. The cheap plastic teeth used to keep the tablet aligned in the case have broken off. Not sure if this is causing an issue since they helped keep the physical connectors touching each other.

Not sure if the above issues are unique to this particular keyboard OR if this is an issue with all Nokia 2520 power keyboards.

A Positive note: I still like typing on this keyboard better than the Surface Type and Type2 keyboard covers.

Never had the battery issue. Running 2 2520s all day everyday.

I used to have the connection issue here and there with one of them, but it seemed to work itself out after a week or two. It was rather annoying.

I have also been lucky, nothing has broke on either case. I'll ask around my circle and see if anyone has issues.

Sent from my L920 using Tapatalk

Edited by LawnPaul

Never had the battery issue. Running 2 2520s all day everyday.

I used to have the connection issue here and there with one of them, but it seemed to work itself out after a week or two. It was rather annoying.

I have also been lucky, nothing has broke on either case. I'll ask around my circle and see if anyone has issues.

I didn't notice any issues until the tabs broke. Now the thing seems to have all sorts of issues. I bet the tablet isn't seated correctly and that minor shifts between the keyboard and the tablet is causing issue. Another example, I will be typing away and then the keyboard becomes unresponsive. I have to remove and re-insert the tablet. This then requires a reboot of the tablet to recognize the keyboard.  

I contacted the MS Store and they are going to let me return the keyboard for a full refund (Out of stock so, no exchange. I would have exchanged if it had been in stock.)

Since my problems surfaced, I'm considering taking a step back and reevaluating my needs.

I loved the keyboard part of the 2520 power keyboard but I really didn't need the extra battery. The added bulk and the general design of the keyboard was a disappointment once in hand imho compared to my old Surface RT plus Type keyboard. My suave tablet turned into a bulky laptop.

I Thought I really needed the full size USB ports but, I've since purchased an OTG dongle that removes the need(seldom use USB anyway but needed something when the need arises occasionally.) I also found that I seldom removed the tablet from the keyboard because of hassle factor.

If MS had released a LTE version of the Surface 2 back when they released the Surface 2, I believe we would be having a different discussion. Everything I dislike about the Nokia 2520 and the power keyboard is now solved by the Surface 2 LTE and a Type 2 keyboard. I could've lived with the Surface's lower quality screen and slightly slower performance and the slightly less satisfying keyboard feel as the difference are mostly negligible.

Now I'm thinking of looking at a BT mobile Keyboard as a replacement for the power keyboard unless the MS Store has a replacement available soon.

Thoughts anyone?

I like hearing about good costumer service from the Microsoft stores.