RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kokerson

Slow Refresh?

kokerson

Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

I have Surface RT running windows 8.1 with 2 gig of RAM and the 32 bit OS

When I use my finger to scroll through docs in PDF viewer, the screen gets blurry and then if I keep trying to page down, the screen will turn white then it takes a few seconds (seems like forever) for the screen or whatever to "catch up" then the doc text is displayed.

Any advice on what causes this?  Is it just a limitation of the machine?  Not enough memory?  The PDF viewing app?  I don't know where to start to look for a fix... other than buy another faster device?

Kevin

pfinter

I just tried using my Surface RT 64gb device. I had a 3 page PDF file stored on oneDrive/skyDrive. The file is roughly 790kb and contained scanned in images of prescription receipts. The application I have associated is the default PDF file viewer (Reader by Microsoft).

The first page came up quickly (sub second) first blurry then sharper. This is normal. As I changed pages, the scenario continues. But each time, the page loading is sub second and the conversion from blurry to sharp is quick.

Factors to consider: How big is the file, file location and network load/bandwidth. The bandwidth I have is 12 mbps and there was only two devices connected at the time (my son was streaming YouTube).

Not sure what issues you are having but the device can handle it.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

simpkijd

You may want to give the Adobe Reader for Windows 8/RT a test. I found it to be a little faster in handling larger PDF files. I was using the MS PDF reader app a while back to open and read some rather large 8mb PDF files. The performance was very poor on my Surface 2. As I flipped thru the various pages (especially the pages with drawings) The each page would eventually open and but it was painfully slow.... I tried opening the same files with the Adobe reader app, and the performance was much faster.  Still not great but much better.

In both cases, the PDF file in question was locally stored on the my Surface 2.

There could be pros and cons to using the MS PDF reader app as compared to the Adobe reader app but I'm haven't seen a list as of yet.

kokerson

Thanks for the feedback.  I too browse my docs from my local drive.

I do more than just read.  I use an app called drawboard PDF.  I really like this app for marking up the PDF file.  I am trying to go paperless with my horse racing handicapping.  I was using way too much ink and paper.  Anyway, I was trying to determine if it was the app that was slow or my device. 

Cheers! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• dxzdxz1
      By dxzdxz1
      This is my first post here but I've been lurking in this forum for quite sometime now, and from what I understand, the only reason that we couldn't achieve 32gb ram on the Microserver Gen8 was because there was no 16gb unbuffered ecc ram available before.

I was searching for a memory module meeting this criteria and I found this one. My question is, letting aside this ridiculous price, is there any compatibility issue that could make this ram won't work on the Microserver Gen8?

Most of the threads here about memory compatibility are quite old and I didn't want to revive an old thread just to ask this, so I'm creating this one.

Thanks in advance.
    • milev
      By milev
      Hi,

I have upgraded from G1610T to E3-1265Lv2 with success but the memory speed which is still stuck at 1333MHz instead of 1600Mhz.

I have 2 x 4GB DIMMs with one be the original HPE DIMM and the other a Crucial 4GB 240 Pin DDR3 1600 MTps PC3-12800 CL11 Unbuffered ECC UDIMM Memory Module )(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IW4M9PK/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item)

The iLO memory summary is always showing:

and while I am on the latest firmware ....

The BIOS options available are : 1066, 1333, Auto
      I have also tried the power setting to "max performance" but still the memory speed remains to 1333Mhz

Any ideas on how to set the memory operating frequency to 1600Mhz ?

• DaMenace
      By DaMenace
      I have a 64gb SD Card in my Microserver N54l Gen8 with Server 2012 R2. Is it possible to utilize the SD card for memory, and how?
    • GByOBRRLZG
      By GByOBRRLZG
      Hello current Surface Pro users,

Does your Surface Pro have enough memory installed to do its tasks?  Does it ever seem to lag due to lack of memory?  If so what types of tasks were you doing?

Thank you.
    • Gmb1986
      By Gmb1986
      Hi all,

I have 2 x 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz UDIMM ECC Unbuffered memory for sale - perfect for the MicroServer Gen8.

These are brand new, still sealed in the packaging.

Reason for sale is the supplier sent a duplicate order - I have the other set working in my Gen8 currently.

Here's a link to the product on the vendor's page: https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/proliant/microserver-gen8-g1610t?search=hp+microserver+gen8 

They have HND branding on them, which I believe is the European distributor of Hynix Memory.

List price is £46.99 each.

I'm open to reasonable offers - as I'm new on here, here's my eBay feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=gmbaxter&ftab=AllFeedback 

Based in the UK.

Many thanks.