RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LawnPaul

Surface 2 Lte

JWA0507

Do you still have your XPS 11? I'm still evaluating mine.

JWA0507

Today is the last day I have to return my surface 2 to the Microsoft store, I may have to return it and get the LTE equipped version and give it a try out.

kylejwx

Did you try to do a mobile hotspot on your surface? So for example a non LTE laptop could use the internet off of the surface. I think I remember that being a feature of windows 8.1.

simpkijd

I just gave the mobile hot spot a try and it seems work as advertised.  The ATT app is really pretty nice. Inside this app is where I "cut on the mobile hot spot"  I am surprised you're allowed 10 users on the tablet hot spot.  So far I'm happy with my upgrade from a Surface 2 to a Surface 2 LTE. 

I picked mine up at Best Buy on Wednesday night.  The activation process was down right laughable,  I was in the store over 90 minutes with the staff trying to figure out how to activate the tablet, apply the discounts etch.  The guys in the computer/tablet section didn't even know a new LTE version was on the market.  Luckily, in their bumbling, the Best Buy guys actually gave me $130 off vice the $100 off.  My receipt states I received a $130 discount for "Samsg Tablet Bnd". I saw no need to correct them.

• Like 1

JohnTW

Did you try to do a mobile hotspot on your surface? So for example a non LTE laptop could use the internet off of the surface. I think I remember that being a feature of windows 8.1.

Mobile hotspot is supported by the Surface 2 LTE (and was also on the Lumia 2520).

JWA0507

That's interesting, I went to pick up a surface 2 LTE at the local Microsoft store. It was my last day to return my surface 2 and I decided to trade up.

I told the girl I wanted to get the discount for signing a service agreement, she had then proceeded to start signing me up when I thought to ask her  how long the agreement was for. when she told me it was for two years  I thought about it and told her to forget it and that I would just pay the difference, she stopped what she was doing and stepped over  to talk to her manager. She comes  back to me and said..as I have my credit card in hand to pay the $ 130.00 , that they were giving me a credit and I wouldn't have to pay to $ 130.00 for the surface 2 LTE upgrade.

They would just give me an even exchange.

I walked out of the Microsoft store a happy guy with my new 4G Surface 2.

Edited by JWA0507
  • Like 1

pfinter

Surface 2 LTE is in hand. Apparently, I was the first person to get one from my local store. I put my AT&T SIM (originally assigned to my 2520) in an everything just worked.

Any questions?

How does the Surface 2 LTE compare to the Nokia 2520 in your opinion? Like it better, prefer the Nokia, too close to compare?

JohnTW

Screen backlight bleeding is less noticeable. That's the first big win. Also, I find the build quality to be superior, although the 2520 feels better in the hand. Performance wise, there is no difference in the Modern UI. The Surface 2 feels faster in the desktop. I thought I'd would really miss the front facing speakers of the 2520. Although preferable, the Surface 2 sound higher quality albeit at a lower volume.

It is easier for me to type on the 10.6" screen, and I love the on screen keyboard Microsoft provides. The Touch Cover 2 is usable and adds far less weight than Nokia's offering. And I forgot how handy the kickstand is.

I could be happy with both, and for the price, the 2520 just can't be beat. But I feel better using the Surface 2.

simpkijd

For the money, the 2520 is a really good deal.  I choose to go with the Surface 2 LTE mainly because I feel MS will continue to support the product with additional hardware and accessories. I'm using the VGA Adapter, wireless keyboard adapter and Type 2 cover all purchased at my local Best Buy Store.  If I lost or misplaced any other items or my Surface 2 charger, I could easily pick one up in about an modest sized town if I'm traveling and continue on my way

Just the availability one the one Nokia Keyboard cover is tough to come by.  How about a spare charger? I've yet to see one in person.  

But really, for the price, the 2520 does look to be a good deal.  Just depends on you use case.

On an odd note, just in case anyone was wondering... I removed the SIM card from my 1020 and placed it in the Surface 2 LTE device and it worked like a charm.  The LTE speeds seemed to be about the same as the SIM card I got with the Surface 2.  I cannot think of a use case in which it would be a good idea to remove a SIM card from you phone an install in you tablet, but it worked... 

pfinter

For the money, the 2520 is a really good deal.  I choose to go with the Surface 2 LTE mainly because I feel MS will continue to support the product with additional hardware and accessories. I'm using the VGA Adapter, wireless keyboard adapter and Type 2 cover all purchased at my local Best Buy Store.  If I lost or misplaced any other items or my Surface 2 charger, I could easily pick one up in about an modest sized town if I'm traveling and continue on my way

Just the availability one the one Nokia Keyboard cover is tough to come by.  How about a spare charger? I've yet to see one in person.  

But really, for the price, the 2520 does look to be a good deal.  Just depends on you use case.

On an odd note, just in case anyone was wondering... I removed the SIM card from my 1020 and placed it in the Surface 2 LTE device and it worked like a charm.  The LTE speeds seemed to be about the same as the SIM card I got with the Surface 2.  I cannot think of a use case in which it would be a good idea to remove a SIM card from you phone an install in you tablet, but it worked... 

I presume if someone came out with a phone software app for Window RT, there is no reason for it not to work like a regular phone.  You could use skype (if you paid for extra cost service) to make calls and be called. 

Screen backlight bleeding is less noticeable. That's the first big win. Also, I find the build quality to be superior, although the 2520 feels better in the hand. Performance wise, there is no difference in the Modern UI. The Surface 2 feels faster in the desktop. I thought I'd would really miss the front facing speakers of the 2520. Although preferable, the Surface 2 sound higher quality albeit at a lower volume.

It is easier for me to type on the 10.6" screen, and I love the on screen keyboard Microsoft provides. The Touch Cover 2 is usable and adds far less weight than Nokia's offering. And I forgot how handy the kickstand is.

I could be happy with both, and for the price, the 2520 just can't be beat. But I feel better using the Surface 2.

I have mixed feelings about the 2520 and the Surface RT. I own one of each and I like many things about both.  I'm going to live with the 2520 for now and use the RT when I need to type a lot. When more 2520 power keyboards come out, I'll look into getting another one.