RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S Dual 2.5” RAID Enclosure

Dave

I got the Icy Dock as a gift for Christmas, so can't return it. I would like to use it, the point was to make it more foolproof by mirroring the OS. I wasn't trying to make it more complex, though I know it does. I just upgraded the firmware on the Icy Dock since it was out of the server. Maybe that will fix any issues. I still have my original 1tb that came in my MSS. That's how I realized it was the OS raid drives that failed. I still had my OS on the 1tb, started up the MSS and it worked. Just with errors cause of the other drives not in it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Weed099

Even if you Icy Dock is bad, very low probabilyt that it induced damage. It just may look to the system as though the drives were bad.

Updated the firmware on the Icy Dock, RAID 1 the new WD drives, and trying to Recover my server and of course I'm having issues. The Recovery is going through most of the time, when installing the Connector software it can't find the server. I'm about through with this thing. HP removed the on board flash chip from the EX490 and I've had to custom make a USB drive and custom CD to do Recoveries. Now it's not even working. If Apple releases a Mac Mini server with Lion and an i3 or i5 cpu and a Thunderbolt port, it's all over. I'm running an all Apple environment with a Macbook Pro, iPad, and 2 iPhones. I was hoping to build me a new powerful server with WHS 2011, but it isn't even supporting Time Machine right now. Rant over....

I need to get this thing back up, got an Elgato Video Capture on order to start ripped old home movies, so I need the storage space.

Edited by Weed099

Can you do a fresh install instead of a recovery? Not sure if you have data in the server already.

I installed this in my MSS in January with 2x WD 320 Black drives. A week ago when I went to restart my server it would not completely reboot. I just got around to checking all the drives and both WD hdd in the Icydock are making the laptop hard drive with stuck spindle trying to spin up with siren. Both drives are from Dec. 2010. I know nothing is foolproof, but the whole point of the RAID 1 OS drive was to keep the server running if one OS drive fails. I can't believe both went out at the same time so quickly.

I hope there are no issues...I just placed my two WD Black 320GB Scorpio drives into my Icy Dock enclosure...build date...1/7/2011.

Update: Today I RMA'd the Icy Dock, for no other reason than it just doesn't suit my needs - RAID 0. Guys using it for mirroring are probably getting the real value from the product. I'd have held on to it except I have no immediate plans for mirroring. So back it goes.

• 4 months later...

Dave, Love to see a few PICs of your install, this looks like a perfect system drive solution for my 2011 WHS build.

I have just setup up my Icy Dock on my new WHS2011. I had no problems with the install and it's been running a few days now without any problems. Today I got around to installing the software not that I needed it but did want to get the email notifications from it.

I can't seem to get the email notifications working has anyone that has one of these had any luck

I have tried via Gmail and via my isp email and both seem to give similar messages

" Unexpected replay from SMTP server:

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first . k12sm2198405anc.19"

If anyone was able to get it working please let me know some of the settings you used

• 9 months later...

It is hardware based. OS will only see it as one drive.

For the benefit of other readers, software setup is an option but the RAID itself is hardware-based.

I'm using this as my OS drive for WHS 2001 in RAID1 format on matching WD blue 300GB drives. They're advanced format. Does that matter? I know XP requires a special setup utility to get the starting point (or whatever the terminology is) right, but later OS's, including WHS 2011, don't. However, being that the hardware RAID intervenes between the OS and the drive hardware, does the RAID hardware have to be aware of the advanced drive? Or is that transparent to the RAID setup?

Thanks in advance.

Chris