RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S Dual 2.5” RAID Enclosure

Dave

I installed this in my MSS in January with 2x WD 320 Black drives. A week ago when I went to restart my server it would not completely reboot. I just got around to checking all the drives and both WD hdd in the Icydock are making the laptop hard drive with stuck spindle trying to spin up with siren. Both drives are from Dec. 2010. I know nothing is foolproof, but the whole point of the RAID 1 OS drive was to keep the server running if one OS drive fails. I can't believe both went out at the same time so quickly.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Weed099

Man that sucks. I am using similar drives and hope I don't have a similar fate.

This is my first drive failure and I can't believe it's my two newest drives, and both of them my OS RAID 1 drives.

This is my first drive failure and I can't believe it's my two newest drives, and both of them my OS RAID 1 drives.

It certainly is a bit surprising to have 2 black drives fail like that. My suggestion would be to SpinRite both drives on level 4 and try them again. Course, you may want to just RMA them, but WD may give you some hassle about it.

Guest no-control

I also wouldn't rule out the icy dock either. This may be the issue or what caused you're drives to fail. Especially since both failed at the same time, that is unusual.

I also wouldn't rule out the icy dock either. This may be the issue or what caused you're drives to fail. Especially since both failed at the same time, that is unusual.

good point.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. I better get my server backed up quickly in case I have problems like this. Luckily I haven't installed any data because the drives I bought for it were DOA but I don't want to reinstall S2008R2 and my VM's.

How would I check if anything is wrong with it? I don't think I have any data I am losing on them. More irritated that this was suppose to be my OS backup solution.

My RMA drives from WD already arrived. I did the RMA only 2 days ago. Not sure what I should do now...Try it again?

Guest no-control

Options are:

• Run the drives without the icydock
  • RMA the icydock
  • Run the drives at risk in the existing icydock

No real way to test it other than running another set of drives in the dock and see what happens. My opinion is to return/sell the dock and run without it. If you absolutly must use it I would RMA the dock and run the drives in the new dock.

I still hold firm that these are not worth the money. The dock adds a level of complexity for trouble shooting and an additional point of failure. Everyone should be considering this when building their server. Keep it simple its just a server.