RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S Dual 2.5” RAID Enclosure

Dave

If the prices come down a bit, I'd like to get a 3TB ioSafe Solo Pro USB 3 drive for on-site, daily backup.

Nice, I will have to check those out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Weed099

I'm in. Just ordered mine from Newegg this morning using the HSS click-thru, of course!

Plan to use this for my OS drive: two 60 GB SSD's in RAID 0. But I also plan to try it out in my MSS EX495. I was glancing over this thread and it looks like I may have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work, but it should, right?

I'm in. Just ordered mine from Newegg this morning using the HSS click-thru, of course!

Plan to use this for my OS drive: two 60 GB SSD's in RAID 0. But I also plan to try it out in my MSS EX495. I was glancing over this thread and it looks like I may have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work, but it should, right?

I was considering using 2 SSD drives as well for the OS in an Icy Dock until I listed to the BYOB podcast and upgrading firmware. Just as easy to use 2 WD Black laptop drives. I don't think I will lose much performance on the WHS without a SSD.

Now where can I get my hands on one of those Origami storage boxes? :)

@tk - You'll probably be fine with spinning drives. More than fine, actually. I just happened to have 2 SSD's without a home after some system reconfigurations. Funny thing about the benchmarks. They look great, hovering near 500 MB/s for seq all 0's R/W, but I can't say I see any real difference from the single 120 GB SSD I had been using. I only did the RAID 0 so I could still have 120 GB's of space for my OS drive.

Edited by dvn

Yes. I got mine 2 days ago. Easy to get up and running in RAID 0. I restored my desktop image with Acronis and I was back to desktop in no time, no problems whatsoever.

I came yesterday after work, booted up, and saw this: "A disk read error ocurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot..."

I don't think it's the Icy Dock enclosure because this motherboard has been borderline annoying since I've owned it, about 4 months Power off, disconnect power plug, wait 10 seconds, and then try again 'fixed' it.

This looks like an interesting benefit of using the MB982SPR-2S. Note the CPU usage of a single drive vs RAID0. I assume the single drive was connected directly to the motherboard. So, a nice added benefit of off-loading some of the CPU cycles. I'm psyched!

I wish more of these benchmark tools would keep the same scale, or allow you to specify it, so it's easier to compare 1 test to another... sheesh.

I wish more of these benchmark tools would keep the same scale, or allow you to specify it, so it's easier to compare 1 test to another... sheesh.

Not sure I follow you. 150 MB/s is still 150 MB/s regardless of the tool you use. Right.

Hmmm, that makes me think I could have used it in my new desktop for my two OCZ Vertex 2, 120 GB SSD's in Raid 0. I didn't use it because I thought using two SATA II cables might give better performance than one from the IcyDock enclosure. I should have tested. I guess if I ever need to do a system restore and can't get the restore to work through my network I could then use the enclosure and then restore from a client PC. Good to have options.

Not sure I follow you. 150 MB/s is still 150 MB/s regardless of the tool you use. Right.

for example, ATTO always changes the scale of the graph so that the results for that test fall into the middle of the graph; makes it hard to compare an ssd to a spinning drive. I would like to be able to specifiy the scale.