RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S Dual 2.5” RAID Enclosure

Dave

No worries.

When I say pop it into an enclosure, I just mean run the drive from inside an enclosure connected by eSata.

I'm toying with the idea of picking up the icydock unit and putting it inside the Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 enclosure I bought a little while ago. I figure if I pick up a couple small 2.5 drives and fill up the non-WHS install space (to minimize any chance of drive extender using the mirror for storage), that would leave me with three of the four bays for storage drives. This would give me a nice, portable little WHS 'box' (I'd be virtualizing my install, but since the VM would have direct accsess to the drives, that shouldn't matter).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Weed099

I just booted up "IcyServer" and it is still alive and well.

I wanted to make sure I understood you before testing. I was talking about putting thisinto this. But you want to make sure it will work correctly with eSata and port multiplier right? The only external box I have with eSata is this one: Rosewill External I could try to slip it in there with another drive and see what happens.

If you can, let me know how it turns out. If it works in the dock over eSata I would assume it should work from an enclosure as well (can't think of a reason why it wouldn't..)

• 2 weeks later...

Awh, lame!

I tried to order the enclosure today, but Amazon.com won't ship it to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't stock IcyDock products. :(

Guess I'll have to special order it locally.. (sorry Dave, I tried to get you the affiliate cash...)

• 2 months later...

Dave,

Without having to do a full Version 1 WHS install again. Do you think it is possible to clone the existing 3.5" system drive onto one of the 2.5" drives.

Then install it into the icy dock with another unformatted drives and allow it to mirror the drive?

Thanks

Ron

Dave,

Without having to do a full Version 1 WHS install again. Do you think it is possible to clone the existing 3.5" system drive onto one of the 2.5" drives.

Then install it into the icy dock with another unformatted drives and allow it to mirror the drive?

Thanks

Ron

Yep. At least I did with the Tranquil model. In fact, you could just clone directly to the module with both drives in place!

Dave,

Thanks

Ron

"If" you can clone, the second part is a no brainer. The challenge is cloning the OS especially if the 3.5 inch drive is not exactly the same size. My suggestion is to do a server re-install. I know you will have to setup users and software again but it might be less hassle. Clone on WHS V1 has been a hit and miss.

Dave,

Thanks

Ron

If you turn off the WHS, clone the system drive with a tool like CloneZilla or EASUS DiskCopy that copies the MBR over, then boot up WHS from the clone, it should work. I've done it a number of times without issue. However, as the old saying goes, YMMV, so make sure you're fully backed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. At least I did with the Tranquil model. In fact, you could just clone directly to the module with both drives in place!

This will be how to do it. When you set up RAID 1 (mirroring), it will wipe your drives clean, so backing up to one of the 2.5" will make you transfer again back to another drive, then back to the volume in RAID 1. Set up the drives in RAID 1, and clone the 3.5" to your new mirrored set.

I have had better luck with DiskCopy over Clonezilla. DiskCopy is also a little bit more straightforward with their UI.