• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Weed099

As the article pointed out, WHS is not so much about speed as it is about data retention and reliability. This is a great tool for the OS drive to provide that extra level of reliability, especially when 2.5" drives are getting dirt cheap.

"Santa.....are you listening"?????? Guess not...oh well....a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do or commonly referred to www.newegg.com

What? I don't see a spec of dust anywhere. Drive caddy came out of an old EX 470 and has been offline for a while. I'm about to blow the dust off that old server and fire this thing up though.

Dusty? Ha! No way....clean as the pure driven snow. Believe me, I can show you dusty when you have to take an air compressor once a month to servers; you are dealing with dust.

Hmmm. I was looking at the black wire mesh on the back side. It's an odd angle and it looked kinda dusty to me. I was looking at the circle pattern on the mesh, and where the circle pattern isn't consistent, it kinda looks like dust. Looking closer, really close, it may be that what's behind the circle mesh may be obscuring the circle pattern, therefore giving the illusion of dust? maybe?

Looking forward to the final thoughts from the review! I hope you can get ahold of some SSDs too. You can show your HS maxing out the gigabit ethernet :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dave, did you ever get around to testing this enclosure with WHS v1? (ideally with mirroring)

If you have time, would it possible for you to pop it into an external enclosure and see whether that causes any difficulties accessing the drives?

I'm considering picking up one of these as a christmas present for myself along with a couple low-capacity WD Black or WD Blue drives...

Also, I'm sure there must be, but can you confirm whether there's some sort of indication which drive has failed when you break a mirror? (ie, so you don't pull the wrong drive by mistake..)

I did a successful load of v1 in a MSS with mirroring enabled. It worked perfectly and you would never know that the mirror was setup. I didn't get around to testing a lot of it but do have some screen shots.

When you say pop it into an enclosure, you mean the entire case with mirror intact? See if I can see the shares, etc? Maybe pop a drive out like it's failed and try it again. See if the data is intact.

The last question is a good one. How to tell which drive has actually failed. I'll dig around on that one.

I wouldn't have any issues recommending it. I pulled the power on that box and booted up the original drive but will throw the Icy Dock back into it and make sure nothing funky has happened. Will also try to find some time to get that post finished. Thanks for the reminder!