RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S Dual 2.5” RAID Enclosure

Dave

When someone said that good things come in small packages they must have been referring to the Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S. It’s a dual 2.5” to 3.5” drive caddy. Meaning you can put two laptop sized drives or SSD’s into it and it will fit in a regular hard drive slot in your computer or server. There is a twist to this one though. It has RAID built into the enclosure. Stay tuned for a review and lots of photos.

I plan on trying it out on a PC, Vail, and version 1 of Windows Home Server. Anything else you want to know about it?

Icy-Dock-Mb982SPR-2S-7.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Weed099

What shall I test? My first thought is to test this in a mirror setup on Vail. I did a RAID test already between Intel and JMicron chipsets with Vail and that turned out interesting. Read that post here.

I also want to know how the fit is inside a MediaSmart Server. Maybe test JBOD inside the MSS using it's Port Multiplier mode?

Am interested in the results for SSD in raid as I'm currently planning my next build which is for video editing and I want to use 2 OCZ Vertex2 SSD's in Raid 0 for the System drive. Appreciate that Trim isn't handled under Raid natively so am curious as too how the icy dock overcomes this shortfall, is is this just a container or soes it ship with its own controller.

Anyone want to volunteer a few SSD's for testing? I'll take good care of them and promise not to ship them back, errr, I mean lose them!

I'm working on the review now and I could probably use a few days to really try this thing out in several different scenarios. It's going to be a long review!

Looking forward to your review too. As mentioned in another post I went with the "Safe Server Module" from TranquilPC and am planning on posting a review of that here.

Looking forward to your review too. As mentioned in another post I went with the "Safe Server Module" from TranquilPC and am planning on posting a review of that here.

I'm looking forward to your review. I like the Tranquil product. The one Dave has is meant for the same use, just that your start up costs are cheaper. Tranquil is a one stop solution, which is good, don't get me wrong, just that you have to pay quite a bit more for that convience. I like that Tranquil includes software also.

Hey SLicK, get me that review in a word doc format and I'll get it posted on the blog.

The first review is up. I started with the Vail test hardware that I had running and since I had already tested RAID with Vail it was nice to be able to compare the speeds and performance for you.

http://homeservershow.com/icy-dock-mb982spr-2s-review.html

Next up is the MediaSmart Server and maybe testing Win 7 in a RAID 0. If there is anything else you would like to see, photos, etc let me know.