RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Time Selling A Phone On Ebay - Help

GreatTiger

So now that I have my LG G2 up and working, I want to sell my trusty old HTC Trophy on eBay.  This is my first time doing this and was wondering what I do with the sim card inside?  Verizon sent a new sim card with my LG G2 so I still have the original that came with the HTC Trophy.

Do I sell it with the sim card or do I take it out and put it on eBay as a phone that will need a sim card from Verizon?  Also, other people post a phone has a clean ESN - what does that mean?

I did reset the phone to remove all personal information - I just wasn't sure about the sim card (include with phone or not) and what to say about the ESN.

Thanks!

ESN is similar to IMEI, a unique serial number tied to that device. ESN are tied to CDMA providers like Verizon and Sprint, IMEI to GSM providers like T-Mobile, and ATT. When someone says that their ESN is clean, it means that it is not on a 'blacklist' of devices. Devices are put on a bad ESN list for many reasons such as Stolen, or Accounts not in good standing. If the phone has a bad ESN it cannot be used on network, is basically just a parts phone.

As for your SIM, keep it, don't send it to anyone as it has been tied to your account. Technically if you have your provider remove it from your account it shouldn't matter but there is no need to take any risk; They can insert their own sim from their provider.

the Trophy is a 3G phone and so that old sim card is only for international roaming. that SIM card was likely never even activated unless you took the phone overseas and paid Verizon for service while there. The phone will work just fine on Verizon in the US without the sim card. And like tabletjunkie said, if they do need a sim card to take internationally, Verizon will give them one.

the 4G sim card in your new phone is a whole different story and you definitely do need to keep that in your phone for service in the us.

Tablet Junkie is on the money.  Pull the SIM always.  New service can get a SIM for free or the buyer will have a SIM ready to go.  List your item on ebay stating why you are selling and that the ESN is clean.  I wouldn't publish the ESN on the auction but you may get asked to furnish it to prove it is good.  I always ask and always compare what was given via e-mail is what was received in the mail.  Scammers may try to use a known clean ESN via e-mail.