RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
FinsUpDNC

Cortana Is Coming

FinsUpDNC

The Verge has some new screenshots and info.  It is starting to feel that they may even keep this name which seems like a no brainer, but was not expected just a few months ago.  

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465264/microsoft-cortana-windows-phone-screenshots

I have always gotten excited by these voice features on other platforms, but after a few days I never used them.  The MotoX has great integration with Google Now voice, and after playing with it for the first week I never activated it.  Either way, it is one of the features MS needs for WIndows Phone to show it is at par with competitors. 

KevinSTLTechTalk

I am curious if MS will continue using the Cortana name. Maybe someone can clarify this for me though, who actually owns the Cortana property? 

Is it Microsoft or Bungie since Bungie wrote it into the Halo series? Of course there can always be licensing fees paid, so it may not really matter.

Either way, if this works as well as Google Now with the features of the Moto X, then it will trump Siri quickly as a service. The hands free example of the Moto X is how this sort of technology is supposed to work for its ease of use.

Another huge area they need to have nearly perfect is voice recognition. This is where Google shines, as it is very accurate.

soylent

I am curious if MS will continue using the Cortana name. Maybe someone can clarify this for me though, who actually owns the Cortana property? 

Is it Microsoft or Bungie since Bungie wrote it into the Halo series? Of course there can always be licensing fees paid, so it may not really matter.

Either way, if this works as well as Google Now with the features of the Moto X, then it will trump Siri quickly as a service. The hands free example of the Moto X is how this sort of technology is supposed to work for its ease of use.

Another huge area they need to have nearly perfect is voice recognition. This is where Google shines, as it is very accurate.

The linked article says the default name is Cortana, but you can change the name to anything else

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. Looks like you can only change the name that Cortana uses to address you.

Edited by soylent

LawnPaul

Well, 343 (Microsoft's game studio) bought the rights to the franchise. So I think they can do as they please. I hope it stays, everyone I explain this to loves the name.

Sent from my L920 using Tapatalk

pfinter

I haven't played Halo since the ODST days. However, I thought it was awesome that MS called it Cortana. So many memories and what gamer geek wouldn't want a digital assistant called Cortana. 

Dave

What is the over/under that WP geeks want to be called, MasterChief? #Cortana #WP8.1

surfaceRT

Cortana - call me Spartan 117!

CommonTek

Cortana, I am 'BuckNaked'.... :)

Edited by TabletJunkie

JWA0507

I hope this will be at least the equal to Google now, though it could be something better. As for Siri, I don't see Siri as much of a low hanging fruit.

To me Siri development has fallen into the typical apple development cycle and now seems to have stagnated, Google is the real target in all of this.

I just don't think Apple has the drive to push Siri to where it would have to go. They're great at Hardware, but software as a different story.

CommonTek

I hope this will be at least the equal to Google now, though it could be something better. As for Siri, I don't see Siri as much of a low hanging fruit.To me Siri development has fallen into the typical apple development cycle and now seems to have stagnated, Google is the real target in all of this.I just don't think Apple has the drive to push Siri to where it would have to go. They're great at Hardware, but software as a different story.

100% agree! as does every other IOS user who also uses Android. Google Voice/Google Now owns Siri. I also would love a 'hot word' that activates Cortana without manual input, like the Moto X. I am okay with an always on device, as long as they give you the option to turn it off and if they allow you to record your own 'Hot Word' that isn't as awkward as 'OK Google' or as frustrating as someone else triggering your phone if they say 'OK Google.' A great implementation of Cortana would make me run out and get a WP immediately.