RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CommonTek

Icon

JWA0507

just purchased an icon a few days ago and loving the screen as well as the camera and other features.

Looking forward to update 8.1 as well.

mon40

So Verizon just started a bring your own phone for $45 package.  I would like to do the $65 version of that for the data I need.  So my question is can lets say t-mobile goes down to $35 a month can I bring it to t-mobile get worse coverage but save $30 a month?

Basically I am asking what is the deal with unlocking these phones.  I did see from an earlier post that it is possible to get 4g on the t-mobile network.

Also Straight Talk might be an option?  

Edited by mon40

thelilgeek

Verizon and t-mo are not compatible carriers. T-mo being GSM and vzw being cdma. Will not likely work.

kylejwx

Verizon includes gsm in all modern smart phones, therefore a Verizon phone will work on ATT, Tmobile. But ATT and T-Mobile phones will not work on Verizon. It is one way compatibility.

thelilgeek

I was under the impression that that was an oddity based on only the HTC 8X. If I had known that I would have bought an icon back in February and took it to AT&T.

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk

mercblue2811488993274

From what I understand. The Verizon phones will function on a GSM carrier - HOWEVER you will max out at 3G as the VZ phones do not have those LTE GSM bands or just doesn't support LTE on GSM networks

kylejwx

It depends on which LTE bands the phone has and which bands ATT/Tmobile are using in your area.

See the CNET article mentioned above. They confirm LTE compatibility.

Newer phones are coming out with more and more LTE bands so there is more compatibility. The iPhone 6/6+ has like 20 bands so it is going to work really well. I just put a Tmobile Sim card in a vzw 6+ and it worked like a charm. Picked up fast LTE right away.

kylejwx

That being said, not all phones will pick up the data service right away; you may have to adjust the APN settings.

troughley

I picked one up a month ago from BLINQ.COM off of their ebay store and I am very pleased with the purchased. It is too bad it is not being offered directly from Verizon currently since it is the best phone out there in my opinion. The camera has replaced any digital for several occasions to capture family moments for me. The screen size is perfect and the brightness adjustment really helps out on a sunny day outdoors.

I hope moving forward to bring a standard to all carriers is that the radios have all the needed bands to work on all carriers in the US. It would help especially with the no contract phones coming out of late as well.

• Like 1