RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CommonTek

Icon

CommonTek

Has anyone purchased the icon? Just curious what your impressions are. I went to Verizon no played with it and loved it. If it was on Tmobile I would have bought it.

dgg4

Bought the Lumia Icon yesterday. Great phone - great screen, great camera, light weight, easy to hold, large viewing area yet one handed operation, great call quality....I could go on.

It's been 3 years since I had a Windows Phone - I've have Android - Galaxy Note and Galaxy S3 - since for a complex set of reasons - but I always wanted to get back to a WP. Been waiting a year for this one.

I have to say, though, in the 3 years I've been away from WP, I'm disappointed to see what looks to be very little breakthrough innovation since their introduction. The improvements are many, but I'd say more evolutionary, fit and finish improvements. Nothing really breakthrough.

And that said, the app situation is - well - nonexistent as far as I can tell. I installed every app I used on Android - or a top notch 3rd party app like Metrotube for YouTube access - and haven't' missed a beat. I don't see an app issue. At least not yet. But mostly I think the app issue is minimal to nonexistent.

Now for the pleasant surprise stuff... I'd forgotten how much faster it is to use a WP. Not only does the Icon run very fast, but WP is such a well designed OS - you really do get things done faster - and I mean *way* faster. Typical cell phone tasks like checking time, upcoming app's, any pressing emails, etc....I can check for all those in no time at all compared to Android. 

Now WP is very different from Android and iOS (which I can't stand). If I hadn't used WP before I'd probably have a frustrating learning curve to get thru. But having used it before, it's like riding a bicycle. And wow, it is *fast*.

Also, I can't understand those who say it's too boxy or heavy. Not in my opinion. I got the black, which makes the thickness less noticeable I believe. But maybe it's because I'm a guy, or because I'm not used to holding an iPhone, but I think the size and weight is perfect. Feels high quality, easy to hold, large reading area, excellent WP typography and high pixel density screen to make small type easily readable, and yet still one-handed-operable. I don't' get the complaints on size and weight at all. I like it a lot better than my Galaxy S3 which was not good for one handed operation - like trying to one-hand operate a slippery bar of soap.

Very happy to be back on WP. Very happy with the Lumia Icon - it's a keeper.

Edited by dgg4

CommonTek

My craving for this phone has only increased with your post. Two big problems for me... I have T-Mobile and there is no 64GB model!

• Like 1

dgg4

Can't imagine what you need 64GB for, unless you want to carry a lot of music or videos. But that's kind of old school these days with high quality cloud based services. All my music / videos are in the cloud. Similarly, all my photo's go to the cloud. I temporarily d/l or stream what I want, but don't store much on the phone.

For WP I highly recommend Beats Music service. It's based on the highly regarded MOG service with 320Kbps streaming music that doesn't really require much bandwidth for live streaming. You don't carry music on your phone - you just stream it live from a catalog of 20+ million songs. No one buys/downloads music to their phone anymore. I'm a fan of classical and hard to find alt-folk music and there's almost never a track or album I can't find on Beats Music. There's an offline mode to temporarily download some music for a plane ride if you need something to pass a few hours while off the 'net.

So I find the 32GB more than enough.

Edited by dgg4

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I download all my music and movies. Service isn't reliable enough to rely on streaming or I don't want the hassle of remembering to download every time I fly.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

PS also I buy on iTunes but play on my windows phone. I can't stream that very easily or at all to my knowledge.

CommonTek

I also put my music on my phone for same reasons as Imthetypeofguy. I also take a lot of video on my phone and it doesn't load well to onedrive, Dropbox, etc. and I don't want to have to hook to my CPU very often to transfer and clear space. Also while I am not a gamer, I do have some games and the high quality games are often pushing or over 1GB now. If the phone allows expandable storage then 33Gb is plenty but many phones don't.

JWA0507

I'm happy that you've returned to the windows phone platform, I've also had the same reservations but have become curious of what's available now

Here's a link also posted on another thread but it's worth reposting here. It's by distinguished Microsoft engineer Hal Berenson.

http://hal2020.com/2014/03/07/finishing-turning-windows-blue/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Good read but I haven't noticed any changes that 8.1 brought. It seems that all the changes must be under the hood.

kylejwx

Has anyone purchased the icon? Just curious what your impressions are. I went to Verizon no played with it and loved it. If it was on Tmobile I would have bought it.

http://www.cnet.com/news/will-a-verizon-moto-x-really-work-on-at-t-and-t-mobile/

According to this article all modern Verizon 4G LTE phones will work on ATT and Tmobile for voice, text, and 3G data. Phones that support LTE Band 4, including the Lumia Icon, can even get LTE from ATT and Tmobile.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have it. I am replacing my 928 with it. I like the 928 but love the icon. The 1080p is amazing.