RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
davehries

Apps Crashing

davehries

Hi all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have looked elsewhere and so far have not found a solution to my issue. My issue is that some of the tiles (apps) launch and then quickly crash to the desktop. I have been using windows 8 since the preview release and I have never experienced this behavior before. I am now running windows 8.1 with all updates installed. I have tried uninstalling the apps, rebooting and then reinstalling, but to no avail. I have raised this issue on other forums and have found that mine is not a unique issue. I am to the point that I believe my only solution is to reinstall the OS (I hate that job).

PS. My Surface Pro is not having this issue, just my desktop machine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

pfinter

Look at some of the following options:

1. Outside of backing up to a recovery point, that predates when the issue started to occur.
  2. Re-install the Windows files only and not the applications. This is one of the options you have on Windows 8, 8.1.
  3. The other is to re-install the entire machine. 

WolfJT

Before you reload, open up the store app, then go to update apps. In the update apps window you'll see Sync licenses under the App licenses header. Try to re-sync the licenses, if you haven't already.  

davehries

Before you reload, open up the store app, then go to update apps. In the update apps window you'll see Sync licenses under the App licenses header. Try to re-sync the licenses, if you haven't already.  

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the store app, but I didn't see update apps. So, I searched within the store app for update apps. I did not see sync licenses, just a list of all apps. What did I do wrong?

Before you reinstall the OS, check your event viewer for details on the app crash.  http://www.davepaquette.com/archive/2012/09/15/windows-8-store-app-crash-logs.aspx

If you are lucky, there will be some additional information in the event viewer that can help you diagnose the problem. Let us know what you find.

Okay.

davehries

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the store app, but I didn't see update apps. So, I searched within the store app for update apps. I did not see sync licenses, just a list of all apps. What did I do wrong?

Okay.

Before you reinstall the OS, check your event viewer for details on the app crash.  http://www.davepaquette.com/archive/2012/09/15/windows-8-store-app-crash-logs.aspx

If you are lucky, there will be some additional information in the event viewer that can help you diagnose the problem. Let us know what you find.

This is what I found. Greek to me.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-AppHost/Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-AppHost

Date:          2/19/2014 5:56:41 PM

Event ID:      126

Task Category: (8)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      AppHost

User:          WIN8PC\David

Computer:      Win8PC

Description:

App <App> crashed with an unhandled Javascript exception. App details are as follows: Display Name:<Tweetium>, AppUserModelId: <B-sideSoftware.Tweetium_eq7kkbyjh4j3c!App> Package Identity:<B-sideSoftware.Tweetium_2.0.1.128_x64__eq7kkbyjh4j3c> PID:<3320>. The details of the JavaScript exception are as follows Exception Name:<WinRT error>, Description:<The specified path is invalid.

>, HTML Document Path:</default.html>, Source File Name:<ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/js/default.js>, Source Line Number:<1>, Source Column Number:<6289>, and Stack Trace: ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/js/default.js:1:6289           kt()

ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/pages/home/home.js:1:33346           initDelayedUIComponents()

ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/pages/home/home.js:1:4209           Anonymous function()

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-AppHost" Guid="{98E0765D-8C42-44A3-A57B-760D7F93225A}" />

<EventID>126</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>8</Task>

<Opcode>12</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-19T23:56:41.207931300Z" />

<EventRecordID>22</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="3320" ThreadID="7632" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-AppHost/Admin</Channel>

<Computer>Win8PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-924694214-3065037226-196568088-1001" />

</System>

<UserData>

<WWAUnhandledApplicationException xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/wwahost/events">

<DisplayName>Tweetium</DisplayName>

<ApplicationName>App</ApplicationName>

<AppUserModelId>B-sideSoftware.Tweetium_eq7kkbyjh4j3c!App</AppUserModelId>

<PackageFullName>B-sideSoftware.Tweetium_2.0.1.128_x64__eq7kkbyjh4j3c</PackageFullName>

<ProcessId>3320</ProcessId>

<ErrorType>WinRT error</ErrorType>

<ErrorDescription>The specified path is invalid.

</ErrorDescription>

<DocumentFile>/default.html</DocumentFile>

<SourceFile>ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/js/default.js</SourceFile>

<SourceLine>1</SourceLine>

<SourceColumn>6289</SourceColumn>

<StackTrace>ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/js/default.js:1:6289           kt()

ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/pages/home/home.js:1:33346           initDelayedUIComponents()

ms-appx://b-sidesoftware.tweetium/pages/home/home.js:1:4209           Anonymous function()

</StackTrace>

</WWAUnhandledApplicationException>

</UserData>

</Event>

Thanks