RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SAS Expanders

SabatonFan80

During my external enclosure research, I came across this article and thought some of the guys that read here might find it interesting...

SAS Expanders, Build Your Own JBOD DAS Enclosure And Save

I have to say, I'm quite tempted to go for a SFF-8088 connection for my long-term virtual machine storage (which is a different storage problem than the external enclosure I want for my WHS build..). Unfortunately it looks like the costs would be a couple hundred dollars higher than I'm willing to spend right now..

Guest no-control

Too complicated and too expensive for home use. Same reason I refuse to use Hardware RAID. But if you really want to do it here's where you can get your learn on. Be warned its over a 1080 post discussion. :blink:

Too complicated and too expensive for home use. Same reason I refuse to use Hardware RAID. But if you really want to do it here's where you can get your learn on. Be warned its over a 1080 post discussion. :blink:

That was actually the thread where I found the link. I'm about ten pages into it. Gonna keep reading whenever I get time. I'd say on an enthusiast site 'home' is up for interpretation. I've had people say the same thing about using virtual machines in a 'home' environment.

Given the number of disks you want to use, I'm not sure too expensive is appropriate either. $400 for an 8-bay enclosure vs $800 for a 24-bay SAS Expansion box with alot more options.. depending on what you plan on doing, it could easily go either way..