RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx

Crowd Funding Windows Phone App Development

rustyshelf

On a related note, would you be willing to join as a guest on the SurfaceGeeks podcast one of the upcoming weeks? It would be great to further discuss a devs view of the mobile landscape and to further discuss your industries view of WP. If so we will hound the cohosts to DM you to negotiate terms.

I guess. As long as you guys promise not to murder me for only developing for iOS and Android :-P

schoondoggy

- I'm not here to get any money from you guys, to be honest all I was hoping to point out on Twitter is that there are obvious reasons we and many other developers don't build for Windows Phone -> because there's no reasonable expectation that we'll ever see a return on all the hard work we'd have to put it. It's possible, but with iOS and Android as dominant as they are it makes far more sense for us to invest our time there. It's nothing personal against the platform, I personally like Windows Phone. I'd be more scared of actually getting our funding goal than anything else, since I'm busy enough as it is.

Just curious, is most of the cost of an app in development or support after deployment?

kylejwx

@rustyshelf  Am I correct that you are based in Australia?  I am just thinking about the time zone differences if you were to jump in on a podcast.

Also, based on the shiftyjelly website  (http://www.shiftyjelly.com/about/) it looks like you are a pretty small group.  If you were to get significant financial backing for a Windows Phone app would you have to hire an additional developer?

CommonTek

@rustyshelf  Am I correct that you are based in Australia?  I am just thinking about the time zone differences if you were to jump in on a podcast.

Shoot I forgot! Australia is about 16 hours ahead I believe. So if the podcast is at 8pm it would be noon there. So I guess it probably wouldn't schedule that well. Darn. My excitement has melted into disappointment.

rustyshelf

Just curious, is most of the cost of an app in development or support after deployment?

Well it all depends. In our case we have fixed expenses, the salaries of the four people that work here, and paying for our office, etc. The majority of our costs would be in time spent developing it...say to pull a figure out of nowhere 3 months for v1. Then if it's successful the costs would keep going, support, v1.1, v2, etc.

Also, based on the shiftyjelly website  (http://www.shiftyjelly.com/about/) it looks like you are a pretty small group.  If you were to get significant financial backing for a Windows Phone app would you have to hire an additional developer?

We'd do it in house. That would either mean getting one more developer to join us, or one of us doing it. Outsourcing would be insanely expensive and it generally leads to worse quality since whoever doing it wouldn't be as passionate as we are about getting it just right. That said the crowd-funding model is not one I'm sure that I'm comfortable with, I was more suggesting it on Twitter to get you thinking about how much app development costs. Eg: I don't think we'd meet any targets we set at all, it's more an exercise in getting people to understand that making and supporting apps are expensive. As in I don't like saying to people "We're not going to Windows Phone" because they assume it means we're just arrogant and don't want to, so I try and phrase it more as "we'd like to, but honestly at this stage we can't afford to"

Shoot I forgot! Australia is about 16 hours ahead I believe. So if the podcast is at 8pm it would be noon there. So I guess it probably wouldn't schedule that well. Darn. My excitement has melted into disappointment.

We're +10h30m GMT here at the moment, so whatever that works out too. Midday would be fine here, midnight not so much ;)

Edited by rustyshelf

kylejwx

Noon is better than midnight though.  the home tech podcast has co hosts from Australia. They join during their lunch break.