RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GreatTiger

Stick With Windows Phone?

FinsUpDNC

I Love Microsoft services and use all the office and Microsoft cloud services, Bing and the rest.

But when it come to my mobile phone I'm using a Android phone, and in this case a Galaxy S4 Google play addition as I can't stand touch Wiz, but all the services I use are Microsoft's.

It seems Microsoft is building momentum in it cloud offerings but Windows Phone is stagnating..with updates that are too far apart and not substantial enough.

I'll continue to buy Microsoft Tablets and computers, but right now I don't feel Windows Phone is making a compelling argument for my money.

Exact same boat I am in.  My Android phone has all my MS services running on them.  Both work and personal are pretty much MSFT at this point.  There are a few project and task apps I use with others that are not available for Windows Phone.  My tablet is a SurfaceRT, and it is the perfect companion to those services, and most things that are missing I can use via web.  It is a good mix for me.  I use WIndows 8 on the desktop/laptop, RT tablet, and my Moto X connecting to the MSFT cloud services.  The One Drive app today was a nice upgrade.  

• Like 2

pfinter

I Love Microsoft services and use all the office and Microsoft cloud services, Bing and the rest.

But when it come to my mobile phone I'm using a Android phone, and in this case a Galaxy S4 Google play addition as I can't stand touch Wiz, but all the services I use are Microsoft's.

It seems Microsoft is building momentum in it cloud offerings but Windows Phone is stagnating..with updates that are too far apart and not substantial enough.

I'll continue to buy Microsoft Tablets and computers, but right now I don't feel Windows Phone is making a compelling argument for my money.

I'm getting the same feeling. Though I really like my Nokia 920, I just can't help but notice that MS seems to be giving all the latest features and love to the Android/IOS apps and then eventually get around to updating the apps for their own OS later. It's like they're saying:

"Sorry WP consumers, we feel it is necessary to give Android and IOS customers equal or better software. We know you didn't have to buy our product and we know you could have bought the other guys stuff and had better 3rd party apps etc..."

Also, instead of having a combined vision and making a compelling argument as to the advantage of having both their hardware and software, they're saying: 

"we've capitulated and removed any reason to bother with the WP OS. But, don't worry kindly early adopters, with the new updates in the WP8.1, all the things you liked about the People Hub (feeds from all your social media, combining social media updates with one message) and the XBox Music + Video hub (audio, video, podcasts all in one place) are being replaced with separate apps for everything so WP will be just like are competitors." 

JWA0507

I see the same thing happening too, but I think that having a proper notification center is the best way to go... I generally don't find most android handsets that appealing.

But Android did have some features and customizations that I wanted so I took the dive and I'm satisfied for now, Windows Phone is making ground on the hardware side as well as in Software but its not quite there yet.

I've really come to like Google now which has surpassed Siri... I'm very interested in Cortana and what the next update will be. I'm not ruling out Windows phone in the future.

I just am not interested now.

Edited by JWA0507

tojoski

What drives me crazy is the sync situation.

I bought a Samsung Focus WP7 on launch day.. from day 1 I was able to wirelessly sync the phone with Zune as soon as the phone connected to my home wifi network.

Now with my Lumia 920, MS expects me to either plug it in and use the desktop app (which is terrible), or sync via skydrive.

Well, I never plug the phone in, I have wireless charging stands at home and at work.. and syncing videos to skydrive on my 200k upload just isn't going to work.

Really Microsoft, how hard is it to either add support for wp8 to Zune, or add support for wifi sync to the WP8 app?

:/  [/RANT]

Edited by tojoski

JWA0507

I agree, a couple of years ago I felt that Microsoft was moving too slow in certain instances against Google when It came to some cloud services such as Hotmail and the online office products and cloud storage.

But now its seems that what ever internal transformations and reorganization had to take place are in place and I'm actually amazed at how fast and how well done so many of their service are Windows Azure, One drive, Office 365/.com and the rest.

This also poses an interesting questions about Windows, every one of Microsoft's growing businesses are either new or traditional services that were reengineered to become subscription data center based services such as office and the server group.

But the one traditional product that hasn't made the jump to a cloud based service is windows, in fact its the last one.

It makes me wonder what Redmond has planed for windows in the cloud.

GreatTiger

For what it's worth, I ended up ordering the LG G2 this evening.  If I have a bad experience with it I guess I can always sell it and try the Lumia Icon later.  The SG5 announced at MWC really did not seem like any noticeable step beyond the LG G2, so I do not feel like I am missing out on something just around the corner. 

hedrek

I had a Trophy after a not so great early Android phone. Now on a 928. Verizon must die, so I could see myself with a Note 4 on another carrier.

pfinter

It's sad. I really like the platform. I use AT&T so, I get the updates to my 920. But, I don't know if my next phone will be a WP.  

I don't agree with MS in their philosophy of putting updates to office on competing platforms before their own. Show us the love first MS or you'll lose the market share that you have. And you'll lose the money you invested in purchasing the Lumia brand.

If I were a stock holder, I would be a little miffed.

WolfJT

It's sad. I really like the platform. I use AT&T so, I get the updates to my 920. But, I don't know if my next phone will be a WP.  

I don't agree with MS in their philosophy of putting updates to office on competing platforms before their own. Show us the love first MS or you'll lose the market share that you have. And you'll lose the money you invested in purchasing the Lumia brand.

If I were a stock holder, I would be a little miffed.

I am on Verizon and I think my next personal phone will be Android. I've had WP since 7.5, but it's just not getting the love from carriers and devs. I love the platform too, but this Verizon deal is terrible.