RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GreatTiger

Stick With Windows Phone?

GreatTiger

WPCentral just tweeted the 929/Icon will be available Feb 20. They are usually spot on with estimates. Decisions decisions!

pfinter

I would personally stay with the WP8. The 928 is a solid device but is getting dated however, it would be an excellent ebay purchase. I would choose any Nokia phone over the HTC. My wife is unhappy with the camera on the HTC.

WP8 usage is consistently increasing. Just read that there has been a 97% increase year over year on purchases of windows phone devices. Other brands are in decline. And with the brand leading IOS in several markets outside of the US, I can only see third party developers increasing their support for the OS.

Good luck with your choice.

WolfJT

If Windows removes the social integration in phone 8.1 I may move away from WP entirely. The one thing that makes WP stand out is this integration, if they start making it look like the rest of the mobile platforms out there then why would I stay with it? It certainly wouldn't be because of all the apps.  

FinsUpDNC

You need to make a list of the things you use, and the things you want to use that you can't.  I had the Lumia 900 followed by the 920.  After a while there were just too many things I was missing that I needed day to day so I picked up a Moto X.  Each time I pass an AT&T store I am tempted to pick up a 1520, but it would be as a secondary device.  

The irony of all this is that I am a person that has moved all of my day to day online living to the Microsoft side of the ledger.  On the personal side I use Outlook.com, (With personal domain), skydrive, OneNote, Skype etc.  On the business side...Office365, Lync, Yammer, and Sharepoint.  I should be the perfect Windows Phone customer.  Sadly though I have found my experience using these services better on my Moto X running Android compared to when I had my 920.  The other apps I use most on my phone now are not available for WP including Any.do, Asana, and pocketcasts (or something decent at least).  

As Schoondog pointed out many WP users are tech enthusiasts, so it is really hard not to be on the cutting edge of all the new things that come out.  While we like the shiny new OS (not so new anymore), we don't get any of the new shiny services that go along with it. 

If you do go Android make sure you look at some other offerings outside of Samsung.  LG, Sony, etc have some really nice devices out there right now. 

mercblue2811488993274

The loss of integrated social media is important to some, not others.  It was never an issue for me as I don't use facebook.  with twitter I don't post much so just reading the feed in the twitter app is fine. 

My wife uses twitters mobile web site and not the app. and no facebook either.  The nokia's strong points are going to be imaging, display, stability and durability.  As far as apps - I haven't found any app I need that's not available on WP.  in fact I use apps I don't need.

but to each their own... some people still use iPhone even though you have to squint to see it and it was made for 7 year old hands.

FinsUpDNC

"some people" was about 55 million people last quarter.  

The loss of integrated social media is important to some, not others.  It was never an issue for me as I don't use facebook.  with twitter I don't post much so just reading the feed in the twitter app is fine. 

My wife uses twitters mobile web site and not the app. and no facebook either.  The nokia's strong points are going to be imaging, display, stability and durability.  As far as apps - I haven't found any app I need that's not available on WP.  in fact I use apps I don't need.

but to each their own... some people still use iPhone even though you have to squint to see it and it was made for 7 year old hands.

WolfJT

I use two phones day to day. A Samsung S3 for work and an HTC 8X WP for personal use. I really like WP originality, and for the most part the apps are there for me, except for some local apps like Kroger and a banking app. But, like I said, if they are going to get rid of the integrated uniqueness that is Windows Phone, there's no reason for me to stay with it and I am bought into the Microsoft eco system. I have a personal Office 365 account, I use Bing as my primary search engine and so on. I'm getting tired of the 8.1 release delays as well.

Edited by WolfJT

pfinter

If Windows removes the social integration in phone 8.1 I may move away from WP entirely. The one thing that makes WP stand out is this integration, if they start making it look like the rest of the mobile platforms out there then why would I stay with it? It certainly wouldn't be because of all the apps.  

Good point. I agree with you WolfJT. I really like the integration with the People app and the XBox Music app. Not sure how happy I'll be if I have to go to different apps for music and podcasts. Also, if they are going to release full versions of office for android and IOS, OneDrive and everything else that made WP unique, why not get a phone that has better apps? I've owned WP's since the first day they sold WP7.  I'm starting to get a little tired of the wait for the apps. I don't want to learn a new phone and I really like my Nokia hardware. But, not sure if I will feel tied down to the WP ecosystem the next time I upgrade. My dad's Samsung Galaxy S5 is pretty sweet, great screen and a great camera. Add a few MS apps and maybe I'll go android next time.

• Like 1

GreatTiger

I'm all in on the Microsoft ecosystem as well...Bing, OneDrive, OneNote, Skype, etc. and Yammer now for business.  I too should be a perfect fit for Windows Phone.  However, the one Microsoft app I really find I never use on my mobile phone is Office, which I believe is the one experience not quite up to par on other platforms. 

That said, if I am not using Office on my phone, and all of the other Microsoft experiences I want are on Android, it then comes down to three things for me to make a decision on my next phone:  other non-MS apps, the phone hardware, and the OS. 

1.  Other non-MS apps - this is a no brainer win for Android - and sadly an overwhelming win.  I like Windows Phone and stated in my first post that I don't use a ton of apps, but there are holes for me and some experiences (like Good for Enterprise) are just poor on Windows Phone compared to what I see my friends using on iOS or Android.  I really want a first class/first party experience with YouTube and Google Maps too. 

2.  The phone hardware - I think this is a toss up and up to personal preference, but WP8 devices (like the Icon on Verizon or 1520 on ATT) are finally showing specs that are on par with the best from other platforms.  However, I guess we'll see tomorrow with MWC if the bar is reset again with WP8 devices just slightly behind.  For now I think WP8 hardware has caught up on specs and design.  Nokia phones have quality, durability, and camera advantages but lack thinness and lightness that some consumers seek. 

3.  The OS - again up to some personal preference, but I can say this - the big features coming in WP8.1 are already on Android from what I can tell.  These are not features to put them ahead of the competition, but just to get closer to parity.  While I do not think Android or iOS will come out with big changes to their systems this year, they will continue to refine and improve.  This will likely keep them a step ahead in features, but I do believe Microsoft has narrowed the gap substantially with WP8.1.  Hopefully things perform well when users start to get them in their hands. 

In summary, the Icon is available for order tomorrow but I will not be getting it.  I have decided to see what is coming in MWC and wait (hopefully not too long) for the next flagship Android phone to be available on Verizon.  I hope Windows Phone makes big strides this year and next and I can return as a customer who does not feel as compromised as I do now. 

JWA0507

I Love Microsoft services and use all the office and Microsoft cloud services, Bing and the rest.

But when it come to my mobile phone I'm using a Android phone, and in this case a Galaxy S4 Google play addition as I can't stand touch Wiz, but all the services I use are Microsoft's.

It seems Microsoft is building momentum in it cloud offerings but Windows Phone is stagnating..with updates that are too far apart and not substantial enough.

I'll continue to buy Microsoft Tablets and computers, but right now I don't feel Windows Phone is making a compelling argument for my money.

Edited by JWA0507