RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GreatTiger

Stick With Windows Phone?

GreatTiger

I currently have an HTC Trophy on Verizon and my phone upgrade option is finally available.  I am weighing four options I was hoping others could weigh in on.  My only criterion is that I do want to stick with Verizon as they offer the best network in my area and my wife receives a good discount with them through her employer. 

I am not an app aficionado, but there are some apps (or quality apps) lacking on WP right now that I could get with Android (such as Fifth Third bank, Fidelity Investments, Quicken Mobile, WD Cloud, YouTube, ADP Mobile, etc).  Also my company uses Good for Enterprise which exists on WP but looks much more stellar on my friends' iOS and Android devices.  I do like WP and have been happy for the past two years but with almost every Microsoft app sans Office already on Android and widgets offering a similar solution to LiveTiles, I find myself looking more and more at Android phones.  I have a Nexus 7 and I am familiar with Android.  I also use a Windows 8.1 tablet and ultrabook.  I do not like nor care to use iOS devices.  I do not mind spending $200-300 for an on contract phone if the tech is worth it.

That said, my options are:

1.  Stick with WP, upgrade immediately to a Lumia 928 for $0 using my upgrade

2.  Stick with WP, wait for the (yet to be officially announced) Lumia Icon which will likely be $100-300 on contract

3.  Go Android and get something like the GS4 immediately using my upgrade for $200 on contract

4.  Go Android but wait to see the GS5 or equivalent in the coming months which will likely be $300 on contract

Looking forward to everyone's opinion as I feel many of us WP7 adopters are making the same choices right about now.

schoondoggy

I hear you. I love my Lumia 925 and I have not had an issue around apps until I got interested in home automation.

Most of the companies I want to play with have no WP support, Nest, Sonos, Revolv and Smarthtings. Revolv is talking about WP, but it will be a while.

I believe many developers road three horses iOS, Android and BlackBerry. As BB fades into the sunset, it would be more cost effective to run with two apps instead of three.

Path of least resistance would be to give up on WP and go Android, but I hate the idea of being forced into something I don't want.

I believe WP is a superior platform and I push the vendors listed to support WP or open up their API so other developers can make apps.

I am stubborn and cranky on the HA topic. I know there are millions more iOS and Android devices out there versus WP, but I believe the average WP user is a tech enthusiast. WP users are a target rich environment for HA product. 

Dave

If you get an itch for a new phone you can always turn to Craigslist or eBay. I bet you could find a 928 for a decent price and that might appease you until the mysterious "icon" phone comes out.

schoondoggy

Dealfisher has HTC 8X 16GB unlocked Verizon for $149.99.

I would have to believe you could use that for a few months and still sell it for $100.

Also, if you still have an unlimited data plan on Verizon, you do not want to use the free phone upgrade.

You will be signing a new contract and they will move you to a limited data plan.

Dave

That's a killer deal. I would jump on it in a heartbeat in your situation but that's how I roll.  Unlimited data, buy all my phones, sell em later.

mercblue2811488993274

As a fellow Verizon subscriber and 928 user I feel your pain in waiting for the Lumia Icon.

In fact all we do on VZ is wait for phones.

My opinion would be to hold out for the 'icon' if possible. However the 928 is a great phone its just a bit older now. I burned my upgrade on an 822 (also a very good phone) upgrading from the trophy. I had to get the 928 I have now off eBay since I kept maxing out the 16GB in the 822.

You'll be amazed at the difference when you start using a Lumia WP8 from the Trophy. Its really dramatic.

The 928 has been good for me but has a couple quirks the 822 didn't have. One is I keep accidentally triggering camera button. 2 is no otterbox available. Otherwise I can't complain much. The 928 camera smokes anything. If u use camera and care about imaging stick with Lumia preview phones.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

ROZZ

Also a fellow Verizon subscriber here. I have the htc 8x and a nexus 7. I find that combo allows me to enjoy windows phone, yet still have the android device for things like my banks app. I use my wp8 when I'm out and about, then my nexus 7 when around the house. If you can live without constant access and notifications from your bank apps, then it comes down to your home automation needs. If you want to control things while away from home and WiFi then you're kind of stuck with having to get an android phone. If you just need control while home, then I think the nexus 7is going to be greatly superior to any android phone experience.

With mobile world congress and the build conference just around the corner i'd hate to see you jump off windows phone and end up regretting it, stuck on a 2 year contract. Schoondog's htc8x deal is too good to pass up. Great, attractive phone that is guaranteed to get the next 8.1 update. I'd grab that, see if you like what you hear at mwc and build, and test out home automation with the nexus 7. If you really like need control on your phone then you'll still have your upgrade available to nab a great android phone and can resell the 8x.

ROZZ

Meant to say 'like and need' in that last sentence.

GreatTiger

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback.  One common thing I believe everyone agreed to was not to burn an upgrade on a 928 if it could be purchased outright for $199.  I probably won't burn the upgrade on a GS4 either.  The $199 offer on a refurb 928 is tempting.

In terms of deciding between the Icon and the GS5 thereafter, I don't think I have come to a 100% conclusion but I think I am going to wait until after MWC and possibly Build to decide.  

I would get the Icon in a heartbeat if I could convince myself there was a three horse race, even if the third horse was way behind.  The reason I hesitate is that in my gut it is starting to feel like a two horse race more and more.

mercblue2811488993274

Hoping for icon soo. Also, keep in mind the Nokia apps are a pretty good value add. HERE drive and maps is fantastic and Nokia mixradio is pretty great for a free music service. There are a lot of others too. I hope they keep up the dev side of win phone going when MS takes over b/c they bring some good stuff no other manufacturers are doing.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk