RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vail and Media Center

Glavian

So there has been a bunch of discussion lately that it would be great to be able to have Windows 7 Media Center running on Home Server, either to reduce the number of computers running in the house, or to act as a Media Center Extender Server. So after scouring the 'net I came across an interesting site which is a guide to converting a Windows Server 2008 R2 Server into a common workstation. The people here have managed to get things like Aero, Themes, and several popular games working on the Server OS, but the one thing they have been stuck on so far is Media Center. I do plan on looking at this my self (either using a copy of Server 2008R2 or VAIL) but I thought I would share the resource in case anyone else would be interested in checking it out and offering their assistance.

http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1080&start=0&sid=0721f26ac03cdaae452b4ab4de7ebc87

I've used this site to help me with my work laptop and my workstation at home. I use a USB 3.0 drive to house Hyper-V virtual machine files that I can run on both boxes. I maintain several SharePoint and SQL Server VMs for customer demos.

Even with all of the settings changed, I still have issues with sound (sometimes it crackles and stutters), and UAC seems to take an extra long time switching to the secure desktop. Otherwise, it worked out really well and it makes software development against servers a lot easier.

I haven't made the switch to using WMC as a DVR. For me, WMC is basically a good UI for playing my photos, music, and videos.

It seems that when people talk about wanting WMC in WHS, they're either talking about having the recorded TV aspect of it, or having the UI pushed out to clients.