RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface Pro Vs Pro 2

doglover8

I'm trying to decide if I need to spend the extra money on surface pro 2 or just buy a surface pro 1. I am planning on travelling over the next few months and do not want to lug my laptop around. I am a software developer (vs2013) but I do not intend to replace my laptop nor do I plan to work while traveling. I'm certain the surface pro meets my needs, but I have an inclination to always buy the most current since the life of a computer is so short. I'm OK with the differences in memory, disk space, processor and battery since I won't be using it as a main computer but as a companion computer; internet, email, movies, apps the usual light weight stuff (no gaming), but also windows office and some window's application. My hang up is getting comfortable with not buying the most current. I also believe in "you get what you paid for" so I don't want to skimp if it REALLY matters, but i would be nice to save the money.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

My two cents, if your needing the additional battery life I would go with SP #2. If budget is an issue and you want a little more bang for your buck the SP #1 is probably a better choice. I have been using the SP 1 going on a year. Dependable daily driver for home 75% and work 25%.

• Like 1

My two cents - battery life alone is worth the extra money to go for the 2 if you are a traveler. I bought my Surface the first week they were released a year ago, loved it (I travel constantly for work), but the battery life on the Surface2 was worth purchasing it again. I'd go with a 128GB 2 rather than a 128GB version 1. If you are traveling a lot (and I do) that is my biggest issue. If battery isn't an issue, then yes a surface will work fine, but I still recommend getting the newer one. I've been using mine for a year in my travels, I just get frustrated at having to keep a dim screen to survive a three hour flight.

• Like 1

Sounds like budget isn't a problem so I would go Surface Pro 2 128.  If you want the bump in RAM go up one more to the 256.  The 128 is the sweet spot in my opinion.  You get the SP2 for the battery life.  If this was to be docked most of the time I would recommend the SP1. Travelling? Surface Pro 2 all the way.  Love mine and am a little biased but that is what I tell customers too.

Dave

Interesting. I didn't think there was a big difference in battery life, but clearly there is. Budget is an issue which is why I was leaning toward the pro 1, but... "you get what you pay for" and I think battery life might be enough to push me to the pro 2. I'll give some more thought. Thanks!!

• Like 1