RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Mochahead

My Third Day With The Nokia 1520--And Why It Will Be My Last

Mochahead

On Sunday, my trusty Lumia 920 died. It was four hours after a complete wireless charging session, so I assumed the worst. I tried plugging it in, three-finger reset--nothing.

So I went down to the AT&T store and decided to try a 1520. The reviews are accurate. The quad-core processor is very snappy and the screen real estate is nice...

So here's what I didn't like:

The Windows Phone 8 OS is not well adapted to the 1520. Some things are exactly the same size resolution as the 920 and others are just freakishly large. The touchscreen keypad for calls seems like it is made for the visually impared. On the other hand, messaging is nice. More room to see each message, same size font, and the larger keypad is nice--texting is easy if you are holding the phone vertically. If you hold it horizontally, it can be hard to reach the keys, which due to the device's size.

For my own tastes, I didn't like the larger size as well as I thought it would. If I was going to go bigger, though, I think I would rather have the 1520 than an 8-inch tablet. As a device, I like it better than my daughter's iPad mini in terms of functionality and portability. It just isn't really what I need as my primary phone.

Resolution was not crisp on my unit out of the box. It was slightly muddy. The color was off--the cyan value was lacking. The blues were not as vivid as the same demo photo on the 1020 and 925 in the store. I installed the updates after I got it home. Problem solved. Again, not a big gripe.

My unit was not exactly stable. It spontaneously rebooted during a phone call, and during another phone call, the volume rocker could not increase the volume--decreasing worked fine. This was annoying on a call. Rebooting restored the volume rocker's functionality, but I was not impressed. My 920 never had any problems, even though I got it at release. I will say that the 1520 reboots amazingly fast.

I wasn't ready to throw in the towel until someone suggested that I try plugging in my 920 again. This was more than 48 hours after it died. I did, and it came back to life. The battery was completely drained, but after a full charge, it behaved as if nothing ever happened.(Don't ask me what happened. Even the tech at AT&T thought it was bricked. It didn't work when they tried to plug it in.) When I discovered that I had the 920 back, I didn't mind giving up the 1520 at all. I didn't feel that way when I went from an HD7 to the 920.

When my 920 is gone for good, something about the size of the 925 size is probably my next phone. Having a 6-inch device like the 1520 would be great for a second device. While I didn't love it enough to keep it, I can say that the quad-core experience was really good. The 1520 would be a good fit if you really need the speed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Mochahead
      By Mochahead
      On Sunday, my trusty Lumia 920 died. It was four hours after a complete wireless charging session, so I assumed the worst. I tried plugging it in, three-finger reset--nothing.

So I went down to the AT&T store and decided to try a 1520. The reviews are accurate. The quad-core processor is very snappy and the screen real estate is nice...

So here's what I didn't like:

The Windows Phone 8 OS is not well adapted to the 1520. Some things are exactly the same size resolution as the 920 and others are just freakishly large. The touchscreen keypad for calls seems like it is made for the visually impared. On the other hand, messaging is nice. More room to see each message, same size font, and the larger keypad is nice--texting is easy if you are holding the phone vertically. If you hold it horizontally, it can be hard to reach the keys, which due to the device's size.

For my own tastes, I didn't like the larger size as well as I thought it would. If I was going to go bigger, though, I think I would rather have the 1520 than an 8-inch tablet. As a device, I like it better than my daughter's iPad mini in terms of functionality and portability. It just isn't really what I need as my primary phone.

Resolution was not crisp on my unit out of the box. It was slightly muddy. The color was off--the cyan value was lacking. The blues were not as vivid as the same demo photo on the 1020 and 925 in the store. I installed the updates after I got it home. Problem solved. Again, not a big gripe.

My unit was not exactly stable. It spontaneously rebooted during a phone call, and during another phone call, the volume rocker could not increase the volume--decreasing worked fine. This was annoying on a call. Rebooting restored the volume rocker's functionality, but I was not impressed. My 920 never had any problems, even though I got it at release. I will say that the 1520 reboots amazingly fast.

I wasn't ready to throw in the towel until someone suggested that I try plugging in my 920 again. This was more than 48 hours after it died. I did, and it came back to life. The battery was completely drained, but after a full charge, it behaved as if nothing ever happened.(Don't ask me what happened. Even the tech at AT&T thought it was bricked. It didn't work when they tried to plug it in.) When I discovered that I had the 920 back, I didn't mind giving up the 1520 at all. I didn't feel that way when I went from an HD7 to the 920.

When my 920 is gone for good, something about the size of the 925 size is probably my next phone. Having a 6-inch device like the 1520 would be great for a second device. While I didn't love it enough to keep it, I can say that the quad-core experience was really good. The 1520 would be a good fit if you really need the speed.