Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Cdtluna
      By Cdtluna
      Hello Team,

Hope this is the right forum...

I have been a big fan of the HomeServer Show Pod Casts and getting up to speed with the Reset Pods Casts.

Currently, I run Circle by Disney at home with 5 Kids, wife and my dog....and me too...so far I love it...kids hate it...wife somewhat likes it...my dog can't seem to make up her mind...

Added to the mix is the SmartThings starter kit and we are learning how to best use it around the house....my boys seem to like to play around with it like its a Lego Challenge getting it to work..

anyhow, I was recently at Best Buy and their team of home automation geeks seem to guide me to their inhouse security called Vivint...see below

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/home-security-solutions/smart-home/pcmcat748302047019.c?id=pcmcat748302047019&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchRedirect=Vivint

Anyone know about what this is about? I feel it's a bunch of services put together in a packet and charging a monthly fee....

their Geeks feel my SmartThings and Circle is not to par with their security services...they want me to leave my house to the "pros"....and sign up to a free consultation....

My background is in IT and run my own mini-data center at home...but I am a newbie at home automation..   

Anyone has experience with Vivint and Best Buy teaming up?

Cesar
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      By: JohnStutsman

Figure 1 – The Calhoun Technologies HP 686745-002 “Refurbished” drive-cage in anti-static package with Dell 15” mini SAS cable resting on top with other drive-cages and HPE ProLiant ML10v2 Server

A year ago when I was planning my move to Ohio I wanted to move my 5TB drives from my HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 to my HPE ProLiant ML10v2 in order to set up a “Mirror” backup of the files on my WHS2011 system using AllWay Sync on my ML10v2. The fastest way to make the move was to unplug the drive-cage in the ML30 Gen9 and plug it into the ML10v2! It fit perfectly and worked flawlessly. It also spoiled me!

After settling in Ohio, finally, I wanted to return the ML30 Gen9’s drive-cage to its rightful place and I began searching for the best low-cost way to add a drive-cage to my ML10v2 that worked like the one in the ML30 Gen9 instead of the stock ML10v2 drive-cage. There’s a great discussion in the HSS Forums documenting forum members search for a similar drive-cage.

Figure 2 – Pages 18 & 19 of HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server “Maintenance and Service Guide”; Part Number: 825545-001; December 2015; Edition 1; shows a spare part number 792351-001 for the Four-bay LFF Hot-plug drive backplane assembly which would include the a) Drive backplane and Drive cage – Part 792351-001 is the part I first looked for and found at Calhoun Technologies.

After reading some great suggestions in the Forums I stumbled upon the 792351-001 in the parts number of the ML30 Gen9 manual and thought it should fit the bill and found a low-cost option at Calhoun Technologies for a 792351-001 “Refurbished”.

Figure 3 – ML30Gen9 drive-cage (also 686745-002 footprint) compared to 792351-001 on bottom – the sharpie markings show how much wider the front of the 792351-001 frame is compared to the 686745-002 and why the front cover of the ML10v2 wouldn’t close on the 792351-001.

The 792351-001 did work in my ML10v2 but I could not close the front cover on the ML10v2, so I kept looking while also trying to modify the 792351 with my Dremel. I could make it fit finally, but only after a lot of Dremel work and the end result didn’t look good.

Figure 4 – Tag identifying the drive-cage assembly in ML30G9 as: HPE P/N 674790-002 Replace with spare HDD Cage, 4Lff, $u Gen8 Enhanced (686745-002) LITEON (Rev. 15-11-17. The 686745-002 that arrived was identified with a similar tag: HP P/N 674790-002 Replace with spare HDD Cage, 4LFF, 4U Gen8 Enhanced (686745-002) LITEON (Rev.A) 14-03-17.

On the drive-cage out of the ML30 Gen9 I found the part number 686745-002 which I thought was the part number of the cage alone. (I was wrong about that!) I found it at Calhoun Technologies listed as HP 686745-002 “Refurbished” SPS-HDD cage 4LFF 4U Enhanced. Thinking that it was likely only the drive-cage without a backplane I ordered it since with the 792351-001 I had an extra backplane. I was wrong! The part number referred to the assembly of the drive-cage and backplane.

As the following pictures will show the 686745-002 arrived with a backplane and it appears to be working flawlessly.

Figure 5 – Front and Back of Calhoun Technologies HP 686745-002 “Refurbished” SPS-HDD cage 4LFF 4U Enhanced

Figure 6 – Picture of backplanes L-R: ML30G9 Drive-Cage, 792351-001, and 686745-002

Video of my installation of the 686745-002.

Video 1 – Install Drive-Cage in HPE ProLiant ML10v2

Figure 7 – Calhoun Technologies HP 686745-002 “Refurbished” SPS-HDD cage 4LFF 4U Enhanced installed in HPE ProLiant ML10v2

Figure 8 – HPE ProLiant ML10v2 powered up and all 3.5” drives functioning in Calhoun Technologies HP 686745-002 “Refurbished” SPS-HDD cage 4LFF 4U Enhanced

Thanks to the members of HSS Forum Thread: ML10v2 Drive-Cage for their many insights and suggestions and thanks to forum member ToyCeli22 for starting the thread.

Figure 9 – 686745-002 drive-cage installed in ML10v2 on left and stock 674790-002 drive-cage back in the ML30Gen9 on right

In the As-Built that follows I list how this ML10v2 is loaded. Be sure to check out more on this at ML10 and ML10v2 Forum and ML10v2 Drive Cage Forum Thread.

As-Built (I named my Computer: SkyNet)
      HPE ProLiant ML10v2 Server Xeon E3-1220v3 32GB Unbuffered ECC RAM KVR16E11K4/32 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro B120i Logical Drive 01: OS drive – 1 x Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD in RAID0 on HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller – Port 1 (SATA III or 6GB/s) -- Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B Bay 1 B120i Logical Drive 02: Data drive – 1 x Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID0 on HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller – Port 2 (SATA III or 6GB/s) – Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B Bay 2 B120i Logical Drive 03: Data drive -- 4 x WD10JUCT 1TB 2.5” HDDs in RAID10 on HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller – Ports 3, 4, 5, & 6 (each SATA II or 3GB/s) – Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B Bays 3, 4, 5, & 6 P222 Logical Drive 01: Data drive – 4 x WD 5TB SE HDDs (WD5001F9YZ) in RAID5 on HP Dynamic Smart Array P222 RAID Controller Card – Ports 1, 2, 3, & 4 (each SATA III or 6GB/s) – mounted in Bays 1, 2, 3, & 4 of drive-cage 686745-002 “Refurbished” Calhoun Technologies Drive-cage 686745-002 “Refurbished” SPS-HDD cage 4LFF 4U Enhanced; Dell Poweredge T710 PG9KK Mini SAS SFF-8087 cable 15” (38cm) Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B (I used the existing SATA cable that had gone to the optical drive for bay 5 plus a Blue 18” SATA cable I had in stock from previous projects for Bay 6; StarTech Model SAS8087S450 19” (50cm) Serial Attached SCSI SAS Cable – SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA for Bays 1, 2, 3, & 4; I also used a Molex Y to two SATA Power Connectors) 60mm Fan mounted near the bottom front of ML10v2 to increase air flow for the P222 60mm Fan mounted in empty card slot to direct air flow directly on P222 heat sink (plus Molex to Fan splitter and Y Fan to 2 Fan connector cable)  

Please join us in the HSS Forums to discuss this and many other interesting topics.

References:

Check HSS Forum Post: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10796-ml10v2-drive-cage/

Scsi4me.com 3.5” Drive Tray Caddy 4 HP ProLiant ML350e ML310e SL250s Gen8 Gen9 G9 651314-001 http://www.ebay.com/itm/231001449171

Dell Poweredge T710 PG9KK Mini SAS SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Cable 15” (38cm) https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Poweredge-PG9KK-SFF-8087-Cable/dp/B00NOEY3OS/ref=pd_sim_147_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1ZRF07DQQ5V1M36D045C

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server; Maintenance and Service Guide (Item 18 on pages 18-19 lists a Spare part number 792351-001 Four-bay LFF Hot-plug drive backplane assembly – this was where I initially got part number 792351-001 that I ordered from Calhoun Technologies – as stated earlier I found that it did work but I was unable to close the front cover of the ML10v2 or ML30G9 when that part was installed) http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04905980-1.pdf

Calhoun Technologies HP 686745-002 Refurbished http://www.calhountech.com/products/hp-686745-002-4-bay-sas-sata-lff-hot-plug-drv-cage.html

Additional Fans in the HPE ProLiant ML10v2 http://homeservershow.com/additional-fans-in-the-hpe-proliant-ml10v2.html

Installing Icy Dock 5.25” ExpressCage MB326SP-B http://homeservershow.com/installing-my-icy-dock-5-25-expresscage-mb326sp-b.html  

Other HSS ML10v2 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML10v2

HSS HP ProLiant ML10v2 postings: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/

Check out my ML10v2 Play List:

Unboxing Drive Caddies for my ML30 G9

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4003AUX Tower Server - 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1226 V3 Quad-core 3.30 GHz 
      NEWEGG https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2NS-000M-002U0&Tpk=2NS-000M-002U0 

With PROMO CODE EMCRERB28
    • CommonTek
      By CommonTek
      Has anyone else noticed that Lenovo has pushed out thier release date? Please tell me if I am wrong, it is always a possibility. But, two weeks ago the Lenovo website said 'coming Nov 16' However when I visited the site yesterday it had reverted to 'coming soon.'. I chatted with customer service and they said the devixce is now hoped to be available Dec 16.

Has anyone else noticed this or heard about this? Am I just crazy? If they did push the date back, anyone have any theories? I am thinking that they either hit a MFG issue, or they heard so much complaining about certain issues woth RT (i.e. touch optimization for Desktop mode) that they made a last minute design change, although I would think it to late in the game to make any MFG changes.
    • CommonTek
      By CommonTek
      Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (TPT2) Review:

I just want to preface this review by stating that I am not going to give a whole lot of technical specifications. I take an esoteric approach to reviews. Technical specs only tell a small part of the story; it is the experience that ultimately proves out and that is what I will attempt to relay to you. Also, I will refer to other devices in this review as comparison and yes even the IPad.... I know, I know but the IPad is what I came from and the only daily experience I had prior to the TPT2 from a tablet perspective and despite the great divide between Windows and IOS users, I feel the two are in the same category and merit comparison.

Hardware

Screen: The screen is fantastic. It is a 10.1 inch IPS display with about a 720P resolution (same as the Surface RT). The fact that it is about .5 inch smaller than the Surface RT actually lends greater resolution and the color saturation is great. The display is simply beautiful. Fingerprints actually aren't that bad on the screen but for me that wouldn't matter anyways; I accept the fact that I am using my oily fingers and the screen will reflect that. I wish the screen had either one less layer or was more closely bonded to help improve the writing experience.  The writing experience isn't bad but not like that of the Surface Pro. The screen is very responsive to the touch, just as good, if not better, than any other device I have used. 

Weight: Much has been made about the amazingly light weight achievement with this device.  It is fantastically light weight. I definitely do not feel any fatigue while holding it in one hand for extended periods of time like I did with my IPad. The fact that it is so lightweight also makes me cringe a bit less when dropping it since the force of impact is reduced. 

Camera: So the cameras are 8MP Rear, and 2MP front (I believe). Honestly they are not that great.  The front facing cam is more than sufficient for a good, not great, video conferencing experience.  The rear cam, while coming with flash, is just subpar. Low light shots are just grainy and putrid. I am not sure why; it being an 8MP should deliver higher quality shots but it comes down to what you plan on using this for. Personally I feel foolish holding a tablet up to take pictures. It reminds me of a photo I once saw online of a young man holding a baking sheet up in the mirror with a caption reading 'This is what all you idiots with IPads look like when taking pictures.' At first I laughed, and then I said 'Oh Crap.'  Since then I only use the rear camera mode of a tablet in the comfort of my own home for my kids.   At the end of the day, to me the cameras are not all that important but I will note that I almost think the cameras on the Surface RT are on par or better than that of the TPT2 even though they are less MP. 

Sound: Sound is something that, like cameras, is an area where seemingly all tablets fall short. The sound quality itself is on par with the IPad, and the Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500. It still is a bit better quality and louder in my opinion than the Surface RT however not by much. The volume just is lacking, it needs to have the ability to go about 50% louder so I can hear it without ancillary speakers in moderately loud environments such as in the bathroom while showering. This was never an issue with the IPad and has been frustrating. The other issue is the placement of the speaker. The speaker is at the bottom of the device so if you are holding it in your lap, well you are going to strain to hear if there is other white noise. I really wish we would see more tablet manufacturers approach speakers like Samsung, having dual speakers, allowing for stereo separation; front facing makes a world of difference. 

Wireless: I personally have no objection to the strength and range of the wireless receiver in this device. It works in all rooms around my house (which is honestly quite small) as well as in my yard and driveway. It is quick, and I never have any connectivity issues that many people experienced with the Surface RT. All in all, no complaints.

Battery: The battery life on this device is great. I really find it a great accomplishment to be able to get 8 hours of average usage (music, videos, light multi tasking) out of a device so light and so darn thin. Yes I know a big part of that is the Atom platform which itself brings some drawbacks but ultimately I am happy with the trade off. The only downside of the battery is the length of charge time (about 4 hours) but that is likely more to do with the underpowered mini USB charging port than anything to do with the battery setup. 

Design: So the design of this tablet I believe is going to be a love/hate feeling for people. Personally, I was skeptical if my OCD would allow me to get past the asymmetrical nature of this beast. I, up to this point, have been someone that needs symmetry in a device however I have been able to deal with it.  I think that it helps me that I am someone who holds the device one handed most of the time and I do so in my left hand which covers up the plastic edge of the USB and Pen housing. I appreciate the solid feeling of the volume rocker, it neither protrudes too much from the right side, nor is it too sleek up against the housing like some devices. I will complain about the location of the rotation lock. It is directly beneath the volume rocker and I often accidentally hit that when trying to lower the volume.  Personally I am a fan of the rubber covers for the USB, Micro SD/Sim card hubs. I always have been, it helps keep dust and junk out of the hubs and it helps continue a nice line all the way around the device.  The soft touch back is something Lenovo does well, and I love it. The feeling of that soft touch back helps the device feel firm and secure in my hands and I don't have to worry about is slipping off hard surfaces. I also appreciate the existence of a physical home button. Using devices such as the Surface RT and other capacitive home button devices has occasionally been an issue when accidentally brushing the capacitive button. I have already complained about the location of the speaker so I won't dive any further into that. One other issue I have is with the light sensor. This thing is huge. It creates a visual disturbance when looking at the device; it just looks out of place. It is located on the right side of the screen about two inches from the top of the device. I have many times accidentally covered it and had my screen adjust. The positive is the sensor is very good, and adjusts quickly and effectively but it is in the wrong spot and just too big. It should be about 10%-25% smaller and should be located directly under the front cam. I won't spend too much time on the pen but from a design standpoint I appreciate the red flavor it provides when in the housing. The pen itself is a bit too short, the button is a bit rinky-dink, and the tip is just okay. The pen is fairly responsive but not quite as good as the Samsung experience and certainly not as good as the Surface Pro. I can't find replacement tips so it appears that if you need a new tip, it is going to be $30 for a whole new pen.

Quality:  So this is a stinker of a topic. A big part of why I went with Lenovo was because of their quality in their other Thinkpad devices. There are two visual issues that jump at me. The first is the setting of the front cam. You can see the ridges around the came on about half the camera, it appears it wasn't centered very well when set. The other issue is that the home button is nicked. I can't really explain it but it isn't right. Both of these issues are not anomalies with my device because MobileTechReview noted the same issue with the cam and this is actually my second TPT2 with the same issues. Did I just say my 'second TPT2?' I sure did, which leads me to my third issue.  I pre-ordered the TPT2 about 30 minutes after it was made available in the U.S. for ordering on their site.  I note that because I wonder if the issue I had was related to faulty parts delivered in the first production run of the U.S. tabs. I am not sure but the issue was that since day one of having the first TPT2, every day or two the device would freeze, become totally unresponsive, and then bring me to a blue screen noting an error of 'driver_power_state_failure.' I tried resetting a few times and nothing helped. The error was not triggered by any one thing, it would happen randomly while in different applications, both MS and third party. When I called Lenovo Service, they apparently were not surprised by this as they immediately asked to send the device in for service and repair. The only problem was that there was no repair, the device was deemed un-repairable and I was sent an entirely new unit (which I will get to later). So the issues with the cam and home button may be small and possibly trivial but hey, I spent $700 on this device and accessories, I damn well expect perfection on the one thing Lenovo completely controls, the hardware.

Experience:

Processing/Responsiveness: So this is an Intel Atom Dual Core Processor. Yes I know many of you will hear Atom and wince but the Atom is really not that bad. I see it as an issue of what you want to do. If you are looking for a hardcore machine capable of heavy multi tasking, heavy processing (i.e. Photoshop), and as a primary laptop replacement then you wouldn't even be looking at this device because of the lack of RAM. For that you need at least 4GB of RAM at a very bare minimum. You also probably want a larger screen, and something with true HD/high PPI. I didn't need that. I was coming from an IPad but wanted the convenience of MS Office applications as well as SkyDrive and XBox Music.  The Atom is still faster than what I had in my IPad, and it gets the job done. I have no problems running Metro style apps in unison but I do see some strain if running desktop applications at the same time.  The device can get a bit warm when really being pushed but for me, 99% of the time it runs cool because I am not pushing it to its limits. I want to note my experience with Office 365. On my first TPT2, I was able to install a trial of MS Office 2010 and it ran great. By the tome o received my second TPT2, that trial was off the table and no trial for 2013 is offered because MS is forcing our hands to Office 365.  I begrudgingly tried Office 365 and uninstalled it within one day... the constant streaming of features made the office applications sluggish and unbearable. I am not sure if this was a device issue or what but it made the taste in my mouth over the whole single license deal with MS Office 2013 even worse. I am disgusted with MS approach and willingness to alienate users... luckily for them I don’t feel a suitable alternative exists in the marketplace, don’t even mention Google Docs.

Mobility: The device is very mobile. It is compact (10.1 Inches) and among the lightest (if not the lightest) tablet offerings on the market of this size. The built in pen housing helps make sure you won't lose the pen (unlike the Surface Pro where the pen can easily be knocked off the device). The addition of the SIM slot for mobile network access (AT&T) is also a welcome addition for those that want/need it. 

Accessories: Lenovo is one company that like Apple, does accessories very well. There are two case/sleeve options. The first is a leather sleeve meant to transport both the tablet and the optional Bluetooth keyboard. The second is a traditional type of case. It has a hard backer with cutouts for all the ports (except the micro SD Card, major oversight) and a fold over leather like exterior, micro fiber interior cover that actually wakes/hibernates the device. The cover also has a tab build into the back side that will allow you to prop your device up. There is also a keyboard 'dock' that is actually just a keyboard with a slot that your tablet sits in. The keyboard connects via Bluetooth. It does not have a traditional track pad but has an optical track point that I hear works well. The keyboard itself is the standard amazing Thinkpad experience. The last major accessory is a dock (without a keyboard) that allows you to firmly dock your tablet for charging. The dock also has additional USB 2.0 ports and an Ethernet port. The only problem is that all of these will set you back more than you would like.

Ports: So the device comes with 3 ports. The first being a mini USB (yes mini, not micro) charging port.  This is underpowered and as a result, it takes several hours to fully charge the device. This also comes with a full sized USB 2.0 port however, just like the mini USB port, is underpowered. I would say that connecting things like a mouse, thumb drive, etc are okay but an external Hard Drive might not perform the best. The third port is a micro SD and sim card port. The last port is the docking port. The docking port only works with the docking accessory from Lenovo but it brings multiple USB ports, charging, and an Ethernet port. 

Lenovo Service: So in an earlier topic, I noted that this was my second TPT2. My service experience was great, no hassle at all. The day after I called, they had a box delivered from UPS with a Next Day Air return label, and very clear instructions. About four business days after delivery at their facility, I received a call from someone at Lenovo letting me know that they were sending me a new unit because the first was faulty. I pushed about the reason but was just told that there were faulty parts in the device. They emailed me the basic specs on the new machine, and sent it out the day I approved. Here is the best part. I was upgraded in the process. I received an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (Was plain W8 at first). Plus the device I received came with WWAN, an AT&T Sim Card installed and ready for activation, and NFC. Yes I said NFC. NFC was not previously available in the US and I am not sure if it is yet. I actually think I may have been sent the international model. I am not sure if this upgrade was intended or simply a mistake that worked in my favor but in a way I feel I deserved it for what I was put through with the faulty device especially when I backed them so heavily leading up to the release which was delayed multiple times and poorly communicated. 

Verdict:

I have typed enough of my thoughts already so I will keep this short and to the point. Should you get this? Maybe. Are you wanting to use this full time, running multiple desktop applications in parallel?  Do not buy this. Are you wanting this as a primary consumption device (videos, music, news, etc), for light gaming, and MS Office functionality? Consider this Device. I am somewhat happy with this device.  I say somewhat because I am still a bit upset about the first faulty device but I am getting over it and if I take that out of the equation (which I don't think you should), then I love this device. Just like anything, it has pros and cons, and the best advice I can give is to spend time at stores that display multiple W8 tablets and see what you need, and what you don't. To me, if I consider everything I get for the price in the TPT2, it is a bit better deal than the Surface RT but that is just my opinion and if you ask my wife, my opinion doesn't really matter and is often wrong