RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Digital copy dvd's

Dave

This may sound stupid but I've never used the digital copy option from a DVD. I own a boatload of them and have even tried to extract one of them but it didnt recognize the OS or something like that.

I'm just curious if you guys take advantage of this option or simply rip the DVD? It just seems the studios make it more of a hassle so I rip.

This may sound stupid but I've never used the digital copy option from a DVD. I own a boatload of them and have even tried to extract one of them but it didnt recognize the OS or something like that.

I'm just curious if you guys take advantage of this option or simply rip the DVD? It just seems the studios make it more of a hassle so I rip.

I always use it. I load these into iTunes and then load them to iPods and my AppleTV's. Works like a charm, and figure if the studio wants to give me a rip that I can use in my ecosystem, I'll use it.

I am ripping older DVD's to load to the phone/netbook/iPods. My Droid2 currently has one season (20 episodes) of Entourage and two full length movies. The iPod Touch has the digital copies that I like to take with me, as well as the HP iStream app to stream the stuff I left at home. Older DVD's are being ripped and the HP 3.0 software is transcoding and handling streaming duties. My HP Mini has all five seasons that I've ripped of Entourage, plus about 10 full length movie rips. Plus it will run the streaming website delivered in HP 3.0 for the MSS. Plenty of entertainment options when I am on the road depending on what device(s) I take with me.

IMHO, those digital copies have a place in my home. It just works with the iPods and Apple TV's.

Jim

It seems to me that the movie industry puts too much DRM on items like this. I rip the DVDs to ISO format. If I want to watch them on a portable device, I'll use Handbrake to convert them to the format I want.

This solution has a low WAF, but since I do all the work, and provide the files to her, she can work it from there.