RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
usacic

Surface 2 Requesting Bitlocker Key Almost Everytime I Reboot

usacic

I have been having lots of issues with my Surface 2, 90% of the time I reboot or boot my surface it requests my bitlocker key. Is anyone else having this issue? Did anyone manage to fix it?

pfinter

I have been having lots of issues with my Surface 2, 90% of the time I reboot or boot my surface it requests my bitlocker key. Is anyone else having this issue? Did anyone manage to fix it?

Sorry, I haven't seen this issue using my Surface RT or my Nokia Lumia 2520. Both are running Windows RT 8.1

Good luck with your Surface 2. I've read about this issue. Can't recall if there is a fix yet or not.

simpkijd

Hopefully you're able to find a solution to your issue.  For what's it's worth, I've been asked for my bitlocker key once (happened about a month ago) on my Surface 2.  After finding the key and inputting the required code, I've never been asked again.  To tell you the truth, I don't understand why I was asked......

PMathan

I had this issue once while I was travelling. I had no internet connectivity to get my Bitlocker key so had to refresh my Surface 2. This is a confirmed bug by Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2921482

PMathan

Also try a complete refresh of the Surface and all the Windows updates. The issue hasn't re-occurred for me since.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
    • phillyphotogmagee
      By phillyphotogmagee
      Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything 

Microsoft, right?

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encyrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?
      A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted
      Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)
      C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to 

slower performance)

How?
      We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box.  No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain.  The only 

modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)
      *Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)
      -Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:
      When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive.  From all of the literature I have read, this 

prompt indicates Software Encryption.  When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt. Again, from my reading, Hardware 

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:
      What am I missing?  Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4?  Is this an OS issue? Are 

there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at?  Again, these are stock units, fresh out of the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):
      Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500
        http://www.anandtech.com/show/6891/hardware-accelerated-bitlocker-encryption-microsoft-windows-8-edrive-investigated-with-crucial-m500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs
        https://helgeklein.com/blog/2015/01/how-to-enable-bitlocker-hardware-encryption-with-ssd/

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive
        https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831627.aspx

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker
        http://blog.jflamb.com/enabling-hardware-acceleration-of-bitlocker/
    • andypdm
      By andypdm
      Hello everybody!

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 512GB which was very expensive! After a couple of months I have noticed that sometimes when I put it to sleep it won't wake up and I have to reset the whole thing. I love the device and use it a lot, and I twitted Microsoft and they contacted me and say that I have to replace it... I am OK with that but I live in UK and the service is from USA, they say they do not have my device and have to send me a refurbished one, on the other hand I can see the UK store has my model. 

My question is, what do you guys think of refurbished devices? Does it affect the performance? I am not too annoyed about the issue, I just do not put it to sleep anymore, but on the other hand it is annoying that a new and expensive item does not work properly. What would you guys do? I mostly use my Surface to draw with Illustrator and Photoshop... 

I would appreciate any short of advice and help!

Thank you very much!
    • EON1488993291
      By EON1488993291
      Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Indianapolis, IN
      http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/detail-holiday/Indianapolis-IN

8702 Keystone Crossing
      Indianapolis, IN 46240
      Phone: Coming Soon

Where to find us
      This store is on the Lower Level of the Fashion Mall at Keystone, in front of Abercrombie & Fitch.

I would like to start organizing a line party on release day. I'm not sure if it's possible to do a midnight release since it's in the middle of the mall. Hopefully we will have more info in the coming weeks.