RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Acer Iconia W4-820 Now Shipping

JohnTW

The 64GB model of the Acer W4 is shipping now via Amazon Prime. 32GB should be shipping soon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G1YJ5BE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00G1YJ5BE&linkCode=as2&tag=mccabe-20

• Acer Iconia W4-820-2466
  • 8" 1280 x 800 resolution, high-brightness (300-nit) IPS LCD Display: with integrated 10-Point multi-touch screen, supporting finger touch and image auto rotation
  • Windows 8.1
  • Intel® Atom™ Quad-Core Processor Z3740 1.33GHzwith Intel® Burst Technology up to 1.8GHz
  • 2048MB of LPDDR3 Onboard memory
  • Intel® HD Graphics with 64MB of dedicated system memory
  • 64GB Internal Storage
  • High-definition audio support
  • Two Built-in Stereo Speakers
  • Integrated Digital Microphone
  • 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless
  • Bluetooth® 4.0
  • 1- Micro USB 2.0 Port
  • 1 - Micro-HDMI™ with HDCP support
  • MicroSD memory slot up to 64GB(SDHC 2.0 compatible)
  • 5MP Rear-Facing Camera
  • 2MP Front-Facing Camera
  • Sensors:Gyroscope, E-Compass, G-Sensor, Ambient light sensor
  • 2-Cell Li-Ion Battery

But can it do Miracast mirror not extend mode?  That is what we need to know. :D

Do any of these 8" devices do Miracast mirroring? At least the Acer (and Toshiba) have micro HDMI.

And for me personally, Miracast is one of the most overrated standards. I have never seen it work well on any platform. "Lagcast" is a better name.

Very tempting. Who will get it first?

It should be Darren, but we both know who it is likely to be ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to know how this device responds with geo-location enabled apps. I still see spec pages saying this has A-GPS (pages that were supposedly updated within the last week). 

Unfortunately my Toshiba Encore had battery issues and had to go back, so I have the choice to get another Encore or pick one of these up after a full refund (the W4 has not been released in the UK though, yet).

Edited by Rob

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      I really need to try this!  I wonder if it's hard to get used to?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418531,00.asp

• JohnTW
      By JohnTW
      Acer Iconia W3-810-1600 (32GB)

* I present my initial impressions and plan a review which I will append later along with answering any questions the community might have. I apologize if I am providing too much or too little details. *

I ordered the device from Staples due to their return policy, $349+tax pricing and Friday delivery (06/28) via UPS. I also ordered the official Acer Tablet Protective Case from Office Depot due to availability there and it arrived on Thurs (06/27). I plan to pair it with a Microsoft Wedge Keyboard and Mouse as needed. I am off from work for a week, and have time to really use the device before deciding to keep it.

Unboxing
      - Packaging is nice and targeted to attract a younger (student) audience
      - Funny enough, the recovery media is on a DVD (I will make my own USB stick)
      - License key included on separate paper
      - Power adapter and prong plug are separate items, easy to assemble
      - Looks good in the box, was glad I bought it, if even for just a test

First Impressions
      * I read the few reviews out there, but decided to ignore those going in. I really want to love this device as it is the size I want and offers the functionality I need. *
      - Feels better than I expected, with the white plastic being nicer feeling (sturdy with a pleasant texture) than the silver backing (which isn't too bad and similiar to the Samsung Chromebook, which I owned for a week)
      - Power plug went in firmly, and doesn't feel loose
      - The other ports look like they might need to be treated with care, and could fall into the device easily (I'll test later)
      - It feels dense but not too heavy (it did get heavier as I held it)
      - Powered on with power plugged in, battery was 20% or less
      - Slow on first boot for Acer setup (slower than Asus VivoTab Smart)
      - The screen is horrendous... "I should just box it back up right now" is how I felt
      - There is a "filter" (for lack of a better term) on the LCD making it look poor and pixelated to death
      - Looks like a cheap screen protector placed between LCD and glass
      - Large gap between LCD and glass, might even see some dust particles in there (or dead pixels)
      - It is hard to really measure this screen due to the "filter" effect going on
      - Think cheap GPS display on car 5 years ago as a reference for quality
      - Viewing angles are attorcious when in the hand
      - It looks OK when sitting on a stand on the table
      - Once you pick it up both brightness and colors become non-uniform
      - I want to call Acer and ask them if them meant to ship it like this (REALLY!)
      * I am going to ignore the screen the best I can. I believe I have 14-days to return this to Staples with no questions or restocking fees. I'd like to test the device. HOWEVER, it will be hard to forgive. I can take poor anything except for the display.*

Setup
      - I walked through the setup using the express settings
      - First thing I found was bloatware... tons of it, both Acer apps and third party apps
      - Instead of cleaning up and updating the machine I decided to jump right in with Windows 8.1
      - I did not find it in the Windows Store, but went to the Windows 8.1 Preview site, downloaded a standalone installer which seems to be installing some mandatory updates to 8.0 first
      - Once updates were applied, I was asked to restart and it began to install 24 updates
      - I do notice it gets warm on the left side near the power button when in landscape mode
      - Back to the screen... it looks substantially better displaying the white text on blue background Windows uses during applying/installing updates (Is there HOPE?!?!)
      - Nope, the screen looks hideous when it is anything but white text on a blue background (Maybe 8.1 will magically fix it? lol)
      - After installing and applying all necessary updates, it rebooted one last time and prompted me to go to the Windows Store and download Windows 8.1 Preview (1.95GB)
      - Sadly, it hung on Pending... I cancelled the install and restarted... went back to Windows Store and it was still Pending
      - While I uninstalled apps via the Control Panel, I checked back and saw it was 40% downloaded (Woo-hoo!)
      - Installer progresses through many stages, with Gathering Info the longest
      - After a restart the Acer boot screen was on Setting Up for a good 30-40 minutes
      - And then it went through various other phases of setting things up
      - I will continue using the device when the install is completed and battery charged
      * I still want to like this device and am looking forward to trying out Windows 8.1 Preview and to start using my favorite apps and websites/services. I realize I probably should have made a recovery USB stick before upgrading to Windows 8.1 as I might not want to return it with 8.1 Preview on it. *

Future Use Places (I will append this review with additional posts)
      - Without case and with case
      - Living Room (typically low light)
      - Bedroom (typically no light)
      - Waiting Room (hospital visit to family member, medium - lots of light)
      - Car (bright light and using phone as hotspot)
      - Outside Patio (bright light)
      - Table w/ Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse (typical work/travel setup)

Other Tablets I Might Consider
      Lenovo Miix 8 (it is is real and will ship in the North American market)
      Microsoft Surface 7-8" (pretty please!!!)
      Microsoft Surface RT 2 (if it is announced)
      Samsung ATIV Tab 3 (although not a Samsung fan, it looks nice although larger than I would prefer)

About My Devices

Current Devices:
      - LG Optimus G Pro (5.5" 1920x1080)
      - Chromebook Pixel (12.85" 2650x1700)
      - Mac mini - 2013 (w/ Dell 23" 1080p display)
      - iPhone 4S - work phone

Previous Devices:
      - Asus VivoTab Smart (10.1" 1366x768, similar specs to W3 otherwise)
      - Nexus 4
      - iPhone 5
      - iPad Mini
      - Nexus 7
      - iPad w/ Retina Display - 3rd Gen
      - Samsung Chromebook ($249 model which I returned to get a Pixel)
      - Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 (returned for poor build quality)

I want a 7-8" tablet for the following:
      - Quickly accessing apps (or web apps) like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube
      - Run TeamViewer application when VPN is not available
      - Ability to pair with a keyboard and mouse
      - Ability to act as a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync client that is not blocked by my work (Android was recently blocked)
      - Reading Amazon Kindle books
      - Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
      - Run Chrome for cross platforming syncing and services that I use with my Android phone and Mac at home
      - Ability to run Cisco AnyConnect (not 100% needed thanks to TeamViewer)
      - Ability to run RDP apps to connect to work PC (only if VPN works)

• Rob1488993271
      By Rob1488993271
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMV61f8KlNY

Have to admit, the crunch cover alone is making me adore this little tablet.