RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
rhinoevans

Pro Vs Pro 2

rhinoevans

The 128 pro is now $679 and the pro 2 is $999.

Any comments on which one to get. I have watched almost ever YouTube video and read every review. Just wondering if the pro 2 worth the extra $320

Thanks

Dave

I contemplated both as well.  I'm sitting in my kitchen on my "Desktop" Surface Pro 2 and am thankful I have the battery life of the 2.  If it's going to sit at a desk you might be good with the gen 1.  I like the fact that I can undock my "desktop" and take it anywhere.

rhinoevans

I contemplated both as well.  I'm sitting in my kitchen on my "Desktop" Surface Pro 2 and am thankful I have the battery life of the 2.  If it's going to sit at a desk you might be good with the gen 1.  I like the fact that I can undock my "desktop" and take it anywhere.

As much as I like the price on the Surface Pro, can't really pass up the Haswell. Plus already have an Ivy Bridge in my MBP.

rhinoevans

BTW, currently in Saudi Arabia but will be home on the 22 of Dec. Have yet to see a Surface, except for the Internet. Ipad user and pick up a 64G Surface 2 least week from BBY. Wrapped and under the tree. Plan is to return and swap for a 128 Pro2.

SurfaceProArtist

I've got both and I've got to say that the performance boost from 1st gen to second is not noticeable. Unless you need more RAM or storage, I say go with the 128 GB Surface Pro and use the savings for the Power Cover which will get you to the battery life of the Haswell.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

What is BBY and how long does the battery last on the pro 2.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

israguard

BBY = Best Buy

Battery life? I don't know yet

SurfaceProArtist

I don't have formal battery scores (or tests for that matter), but in normal use the Surface Pro battery could be drained in about four hours. The Surface Pro 2 reportedly lasts as long as 7.5 according to Paul Thurrott. I haven't pushed it that far to verify.

rhinoevans

Well, to night i get on a plane leaving Saudi Arabia after two years, back to Las Vegas.  SInce my first post, the New Surface 2 is still wrapped under the tree, and a New 128G Surface Pro 2 is waiting for pickup.  I also see that my BBY still has the Surface Pro 128G for $679 and stilll in stock.  I guess i will go to the store and play, but now leaning toward the Surface Pro 2.  Probably the extra battery life is enough for me to spend the extra $320, and the fact that with the Pro 2 you also get the 2 years Skydrive ($200) and the 1 year Skype($179) for free. OH and the free $25 gift card for the MS Store.  I already have an extra copy of Office 2013 Pro not used so the fact the office was free with the NON PRO model was not an issue, Thanks for all your help.

rhinoevans

Back in the USA today, although I missed my connecting flight out of Houston to Vegas. Was luck to get on the next one, sold out by the way, but I was #1 on the standby list. I guess platinum status helps. Anyway pick up the 128 Pro from Bestbuy and guess I will slide it under the tree for a few more days. Probably would have got the 256 but all sold out. Also I was sitting at the airport in Riyadh, Saudia Arabia and a guy across from me whips out a 128 Surface. Pro 2. Got to see it and touch it. Nice

Edited by Rhinoevans