RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Folder duplication on or off

deadspeak

Folder duplication  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use folder duplication

Just thought i'd throw this one out.

I've been doing a bit of reading and found a lot of opions saying that folder dup can really effect performance when streaming blu-rays and other hd files, especially when you have a large number of drives in a system (i have 15)

I have become an advocate of Duplicating. Yes it cost space but at the price of storage I can not see not doing for at least critical data and if you can swing it, for everything but junk folders. I started with everything, and have been trimming back to essentials but I am a believer...

storagecapacity.jpg

I duplicate everything, but would think about not duping movie rips if I start to run out of space, or during a migration.

Agreed as that is pretty much what I am doing. I am using about 4T for duplication which is about $180 worth of drives so you have to ask yourself if it is worth it to protect 4T of stuff...

Since time is a rarity, and some of the data irreplaceable, the answer is yes...

I was part of the closed beta for WHS, and had run into a lot of issues with folder duplication. So, when I came around to building my own server after WHS was released, I opted to use a dedicated RAID controller. I have 8 total drives that are mirrored, resulting in 4 drives mounted in WHS. So, everything I have on my server is already duplicated.

That said, on my next build, I will probably be more in line with pcdoc and no-control.

A Raid1 mirror? Why not raid5?

I have folder duplication turned on only on the Users share, where personal documents are stored. Rest of the stuff is either backed up elsewhere (CrashPlan) or isn't worth duplicating.

I have folder duplication on for most of the data on the server.

A friend of mine lost al lot of his pictures a while ago - including many pictures of one of their children that died a few years back ... need I say more ?

For me the safety of folder duplication is much more important than the price of a disk or performance impact on streaming (in my configuration with only two disks I think the impact is very small)

I started out by only duplicating the critical stuff, (photos, documents, etc) but then I had a drive fail. Yes my duplicated stuff was fine, but I did loose some of the other stuff. IMO, it took me more time to re-create the other data than was worth to turn off duplication. 2TB drives are now $100, so duplication is definitely turned on for every share. My time is valuable, and storage space is cheap.