RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Aurora

joem

Aurora is its own operating system, similar to Windows Home Sever. PS it was renamed Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.

Guest no-control

I like Aurora better but I guess when drop $600 "Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials" sounds like it should cost that much... :rolleyes:

When I ask what operating systems it supports I mean what operating systems will it image. I listened to the Home Server Podcast and it seemed to my someone mentioned Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate editions. Not Home Premium.

The WHS1 connector (and thus backups) works on all flavors of XP, Vista, & 7, including basic. I'm not sure about Aurora though.

The WHS1 connector (and thus backups) works on all flavors of XP, Vista, & 7, including basic. I'm not sure about Aurora though.

Judging from the fact that Aurora is a domain controller, the connector will work on XP Pro, Windows Vista Pro and Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate. In other words, if the OS can't be joined to a domain, the connector probably wont work.

Judging from the fact that Aurora is a domain controller, the connector will work on XP Pro, Windows Vista Pro and Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate. In other words, if the OS can't be joined to a domain, the connector probably wont work.

The more accurate way to put it is that "Aurora can be a domain controller".

The more accurate way to put it is that "Aurora can be a domain controller".

Are you sure? I thought as an SBS Server, it's primary role would be a domain controller. At least in the testing I've done, it creates a new domain as a part of the install and setup so I'm not sure if it is an option....

Aurora will support Windows 7 Enterprise, Professional, and Ultimate and their corresponding Vista counterparts. Aurora clients are joined to the domain as the Aurora box being a PDC (Primary Domain Controller). The best way to describe Aurora is a Domain Controller, limited to 25 users, with File and Print Sharing capabilities, but with add-in’s for external services such as Sharepoint and E-Mail hosting in the Cloud.

So, to clarify, since Aurora is intended for business use, it will only support business skus of the Windows OS. Home Premium is a home-use sku, so it cannot be joined to a domain. That's not to say you still couldn't use Home Premium with Aurora, but I expect there will be missing features and it will be a very different experience.