RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Rob1488993271

My Toshiba Encore Wt8 Unboxing Video For Surfacegeeks

JohnTW

Wish list:

I wish the battery could be removed/swapped out - with smaller/heavier options. Also, two USBs should be on here, so folks can charge and have a peripheral without the need for a ton of cabling/adapters. Also, more spacing between the ports - I haven't had any issue myself, but I know some have. Maybe we will see these things in the future, fingers crossed.

I (sort of) wish it had a proprietary charging port. Although annoying to have a specialized charger, it would likely charge quicker. However, a Micro USB for charging and a full size USB for other would rock! Ports haven't been an issue for me, as I will rarely use both.

Speed is very impressive. I think they size let them run it and the bus at a higher speed, maybe. I might run the 3D Mark test to compare with previously captured scores on the Dell and Lenovo. But in the end of the day, it feels faster and more responsive.

My review will post Monday.

JohnTW

I believe we left Intel drivers and settings untouched for these tests. I can vouch for the Toshiba and Lenovo scores as I ran both tests and did not alter the power savings or performance settings.

Lenovo Miix 2 3DMark (Dewain/JohnTW)

Best Ice Storm Score - Maxed Out

Best Ice Storm Extreme Score - 8762

Best Ice Storm Unlimited Score - 15448

Dell Venue 8 Pro 3DMark (Dewain)

Best Ice Storm Extreme Score - 8786

Best Ice Storm Unlimited Score - 15242

Toshiba Excite 8 3DMark (JohnTW)

Best Ice Storm Extreme Score - 8382

Best Ice Storm Unlimited Score - 14333

JohnTW

Just proof that 3DMark scores have imperfect correlation to usability performance  :)

Rob1488993271

Developers appear to have a choice between using Microsofts inbuilt capture ui which is good for pictures, or a more robust option for allowing users to take videos and so on. The problem is, most apps are going to use the simpler and easier to work with capture class for just photos and its flat broke on the Encore. Locked in portrait mode, I am sure if you have a look around at some of the third party camera apps on the store you will see what I mean.

There is a Google browser benchmark, Octane (Javascript), that would be a good test to run (in Chrome's desktop mode). That is just a pure CPU test and should allow you to compare it to smartphones that use ARM.

Looks as though we are less than two years away from x86 smartphones - goodbye RT - would explain the rumours of MS freemium licensing RT, its basically dead, along with ARM. Intel will reign supreme again haha

Edited by Rob

Rob1488993271

Snap an app on your 8" tablet John and make it as small as it will go, then put your phone next to it.

Is it fair to say that developers are building smartphone apps on the Windows Store today (using 8.1) and most don't even realise it yet? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
      By Guest
      Today's show features an Interview with Terry Walsh.  Terry is the owner and editor of wegotserved.co.uk. In the interview we talk about new WHS hardware and the new releases of WHS software.

Links and News Items mentioned on the show

Perfect Disk 10 for Windows Home Server

The 2008 Engadget Awards.  Vote for the MediaSmartServer here.

Upgrading your WHS to a Gigabit Network

Add-In: Outlook for WHS

Add-In: Media Center Health Monitor

Leave me a voicemail with Skype! Click me to call HomeServerShow.com

Follow the Podcast on Twitter!

Don't forget to vote for the Home Server Show at Podcast Alley.

My Blog at thedigitallifestyle.com

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes(MP3).
      [Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast in the Zune Marketplace.
      [Mp3] Download the Podcast in MP3.
      [RSS] Add the Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
      [blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer with streaming movie playing (Batman vs Superman – Monitor 1), six VMs loaded and powered up (Hyper-V Manager window open – Monitor 2), and Excel spreadsheet opened crunching 19 years of daily data for multiple graphs (Monitor 3) all using about 49% of installed 32GB RAM.  The disk activity that can be made out on the Task Manager is from the VMs – the Excel spreadsheet is on my home server.
      For the above I had the following connections left to Right:
      1st Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      2nd Monitor attached to VGA Port
      3rd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the Thread on PassMark performance: 
      The 2D Graphics Mark was 424.7
      The 3D Graphics Mark was 1211
      The PassMark Analysis has the resolution of all three of my monitors as well as other information it detected about the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.  I do not have a 4K monitor so I was not able to test that capability.

THIS WAS ALL AFTER I CORRECTED A ERROR I FOUND VERY EARLY ON IN SYSTEMS INFORMATION AND PROBLEM DEVICES
      Systems Information showed a Problem device: ACPI\AMD0020\20 -- to fix that I went to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The file will look like:

it will take awhile to execute!

Afterwards the Device Manager looked like:

And in System Information the Problem devices will be cleared out:

My setup at the time was:

Running at ~55W with 32GB RAM and two VMs active when I did this.

• andypdm
      By andypdm
      Hello everybody!

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 512GB which was very expensive! After a couple of months I have noticed that sometimes when I put it to sleep it won't wake up and I have to reset the whole thing. I love the device and use it a lot, and I twitted Microsoft and they contacted me and say that I have to replace it... I am OK with that but I live in UK and the service is from USA, they say they do not have my device and have to send me a refurbished one, on the other hand I can see the UK store has my model. 

My question is, what do you guys think of refurbished devices? Does it affect the performance? I am not too annoyed about the issue, I just do not put it to sleep anymore, but on the other hand it is annoying that a new and expensive item does not work properly. What would you guys do? I mostly use my Surface to draw with Illustrator and Photoshop... 

I would appreciate any short of advice and help!

Thank you very much!