RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Rob1488993271

My Toshiba Encore Wt8 Unboxing Video For Surfacegeeks

Rob1488993271

I have just finished uploading a video of myself unboxing my Encore.

You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWDjheMdTwo

I have linked to Surface Geeks in the description and at the end of the video.

Hopefully it will generate you guys some traffic! 

Haha, I doubt it though, I have never done a YouTube video before  :lol:

I did have some problems with McAfee, it is probably worth watching just to see how angry I got.

Nothing like ranting about that crap software, made me feel better.

Took me 4 hours to upload this video though, man.. I need some better internets. I put it on my friends YouTube account, he is hoping it might get him some traffic too  :o

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Dave

Very nice.  I'm watching now.

Oh, thanks for the link too!

Rob1488993271

No problem!

Thank you for building this community.

Dave

Glad to do it!  

As I sit on the couch making DNS changes and upgrades to the server with my Surface Pro 2 on my lap.  

;)

Rob1488993271

What did you think to the 93% CPU utilization by McAfee on a day 1 device?

I am shocked, still shocked. I expect it, but.. Pfft, I expected better this time around.

Edited by Rob

Rob1488993271

Taken by the 8MP camera on the back of the Toshiba Encore WT8

oDxfz4T.jpg

• Like 1

JohnTW

Any new thoughts? I am getting one on Friday to review.

Rob1488993271

Love it, really surprised by the speed of the CPU. It even handles Visual Studio quite well.

I haven't had enough time to fully test everything I want to, but hopefully I will get around to it soon and I will definitely post an update.

I saw your unboxing video, wow, everything looks nicer over there haha, even the box looked better quality (a nice smell too?). It even sounds better, pronounced all French and such  :P

I have noticed a problem with the camera picker API, it seems to lock the camera in portrait mode on the Encore - appears to be a device (driver/firmware?) bug and not something the app developers can fix or override. So if you notice weird camera orientation in some apps, this will be why. I should report it, but I have no idea how to  :wacko:

On to the most important question.. Do the US owners get the lovely McAfee software?

Rob1488993271

Wish list:

I wish the battery could be removed/swapped out - with smaller/heavier options. Also, two USBs should be on here, so folks can charge and have a peripheral without the need for a ton of cabling/adapters. Also, more spacing between the ports - I haven't had any issue myself, but I know some have. Maybe we will see these things in the future, fingers crossed.

Edited by Rob

JohnTW

We got Noton AntiVirus, and not easy to remove, but it is gone.

Did you try using the Toshiba TruCapture app? It is slow but seems optimized for their camera. The stock Windows Camera app doesn't let in enough light.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
      By Guest
      Today's show features an Interview with Terry Walsh.  Terry is the owner and editor of wegotserved.co.uk. In the interview we talk about new WHS hardware and the new releases of WHS software.

Links and News Items mentioned on the show

Perfect Disk 10 for Windows Home Server

The 2008 Engadget Awards.  Vote for the MediaSmartServer here.

Upgrading your WHS to a Gigabit Network

Add-In: Outlook for WHS

Add-In: Media Center Health Monitor

Leave me a voicemail with Skype! Click me to call HomeServerShow.com

Follow the Podcast on Twitter!

Don't forget to vote for the Home Server Show at Podcast Alley.

My Blog at thedigitallifestyle.com

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes(MP3).
      [Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast in the Zune Marketplace.
      [Mp3] Download the Podcast in MP3.
      [RSS] Add the Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
      [blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer with streaming movie playing (Batman vs Superman – Monitor 1), six VMs loaded and powered up (Hyper-V Manager window open – Monitor 2), and Excel spreadsheet opened crunching 19 years of daily data for multiple graphs (Monitor 3) all using about 49% of installed 32GB RAM.  The disk activity that can be made out on the Task Manager is from the VMs – the Excel spreadsheet is on my home server.
      For the above I had the following connections left to Right:
      1st Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      2nd Monitor attached to VGA Port
      3rd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the Thread on PassMark performance: 
      The 2D Graphics Mark was 424.7
      The 3D Graphics Mark was 1211
      The PassMark Analysis has the resolution of all three of my monitors as well as other information it detected about the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.  I do not have a 4K monitor so I was not able to test that capability.

THIS WAS ALL AFTER I CORRECTED A ERROR I FOUND VERY EARLY ON IN SYSTEMS INFORMATION AND PROBLEM DEVICES
      Systems Information showed a Problem device: ACPI\AMD0020\20 -- to fix that I went to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The file will look like:

it will take awhile to execute!

Afterwards the Device Manager looked like:

And in System Information the Problem devices will be cleared out:

My setup at the time was:

Running at ~55W with 32GB RAM and two VMs active when I did this.

• andypdm
      By andypdm
      Hello everybody!

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 512GB which was very expensive! After a couple of months I have noticed that sometimes when I put it to sleep it won't wake up and I have to reset the whole thing. I love the device and use it a lot, and I twitted Microsoft and they contacted me and say that I have to replace it... I am OK with that but I live in UK and the service is from USA, they say they do not have my device and have to send me a refurbished one, on the other hand I can see the UK store has my model. 

My question is, what do you guys think of refurbished devices? Does it affect the performance? I am not too annoyed about the issue, I just do not put it to sleep anymore, but on the other hand it is annoying that a new and expensive item does not work properly. What would you guys do? I mostly use my Surface to draw with Illustrator and Photoshop... 

I would appreciate any short of advice and help!

Thank you very much!