RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Toshiba Encore Wt8 Unboxing Video For Surfacegeeks

Rob1488993271

I have just finished uploading a video of myself unboxing my Encore.

You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWDjheMdTwo

I have linked to Surface Geeks in the description and at the end of the video.

Hopefully it will generate you guys some traffic! 

Haha, I doubt it though, I have never done a YouTube video before  :lol:

I did have some problems with McAfee, it is probably worth watching just to see how angry I got.

Nothing like ranting about that crap software, made me feel better.

Took me 4 hours to upload this video though, man.. I need some better internets. I put it on my friends YouTube account, he is hoping it might get him some traffic too  :o

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Glad to do it!  

As I sit on the couch making DNS changes and upgrades to the server with my Surface Pro 2 on my lap.  

;)

What did you think to the 93% CPU utilization by McAfee on a day 1 device?

I am shocked, still shocked. I expect it, but.. Pfft, I expected better this time around.

Edited by Rob

Love it, really surprised by the speed of the CPU. It even handles Visual Studio quite well.

I haven't had enough time to fully test everything I want to, but hopefully I will get around to it soon and I will definitely post an update.

I saw your unboxing video, wow, everything looks nicer over there haha, even the box looked better quality (a nice smell too?). It even sounds better, pronounced all French and such  :P

I have noticed a problem with the camera picker API, it seems to lock the camera in portrait mode on the Encore - appears to be a device (driver/firmware?) bug and not something the app developers can fix or override. So if you notice weird camera orientation in some apps, this will be why. I should report it, but I have no idea how to  :wacko:

On to the most important question.. Do the US owners get the lovely McAfee software?

Wish list:

I wish the battery could be removed/swapped out - with smaller/heavier options. Also, two USBs should be on here, so folks can charge and have a peripheral without the need for a ton of cabling/adapters. Also, more spacing between the ports - I haven't had any issue myself, but I know some have. Maybe we will see these things in the future, fingers crossed.

Edited by Rob

We got Noton AntiVirus, and not easy to remove, but it is gone.

Did you try using the Toshiba TruCapture app? It is slow but seems optimized for their camera. The stock Windows Camera app doesn't let in enough light.