RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
bowulf

Vampire Battery Drain - 8.1

bowulf

Is anyone else have bad vampire battery drain.  I have tried the solutions promoted here (decrease brightness, ensure unneeded protocols are offline):
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/battery-and-power

Specifically the recommendation:

Step 1: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.) Step 2: In the search box, enter command prompt. Step 3: Touch and hold (or right-click) Command Promptto bring up the context menu. Tap or click Run as administrator. Step 4: On the User Account Control dialog box, tap or click Yes. Step 5: At the Administrator: Command Prompt, enter the following:
powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 3 Step 6:

Then enter
powercfg -setactive scheme_current

It still has not fixed the drain issue for my SurfaceRT.  Is anyone else still seeing vampire battery drain issue since 8.1?  I have run powercfg sleepstudy, and nothing stood out other than the internal network device.

surfaceRT

Is your Bluetooth turned off? I know there was some issues with 8.1 where if the Bluetooth was turned off it caused the battery to drain faster. I was having some fast battery drain issues on my RT, and turning the Bluetooth on stopped it. It is counterintuitive to me, but it worked. 

pfinter

I have a Surface RT and I have Bluetooth turned off. I don't have an issue with battery drain. One thing I have noticed is, in the past when I couldn't figure out why the battery seemed to be used more than expected, I had an app running that was using more resources than it should. 

Another thing I noticed is it seemed that when I left the browser up on a website with tons of video ads, it seemed to drain the battery. I'm not sure but, even when the surface was in sleep mode, it noticeably drained the battery. Since then, I have always shut the browser down, as well as, any app that I'm not currently using or plan on using soon.

WolfJT

Not that this will help you, but I haven't had a battery issue with my RT either. Thank the good Lord anyway. :)

GreatTiger

I had battery drain on standby on a Samsung convertible device with the keyboard connected.  No battery drain when the keyboard was disconnected.  Not sure if this will help with your RT but maybe worth a try if you connect a keyboard.