RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First WHS Build

motorcycle

Well all the parts and pieces are coming in on the brown truck.

I'm looking for and ideas, comments or words of wisdom before I put this

together over the weekend. It sure is nice to have this forum to read and get ideas

and guidance from. I listen to all the podcast's from BYOB and WHS.

Parts List

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600

Intel Core i3-540

GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3

2- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

1- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM

LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower

The case just arrived, just waiting on the rest

Thanks Jack

Well all the parts and pieces are coming in on the brown truck.

I'm looking for and ideas, comments or words of wisdom before I put this

together over the weekend. It sure is nice to have this forum to read and get ideas

and guidance from. I listen to all the podcast's from BYOB and WHS.

Parts List

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600

Intel Core i3-540

GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3

2- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

1- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM

LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower

The case just arrived, just waiting on the rest

Thanks Jack

Wow, just looked up the case and it looks really nice. This looks like a very cool build. I might need to do one of these myself when Vail finally comes to general release. Please let us know how the build goes.

Thanks Stan

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I am doing my very first build and will be using almost the exact same part list. I am going with the Zotac H55 MB because it has 6 sata ports to use in the 6 bays of the case. You can follow my build here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1178-first-pc-build-ever-vail/

I have all the parts except just waiting on the case. Will be starting over the holiday weekend and will try to post pictures and log all messes I get myself into. I'll follow this post to see how you're doing. Good luck.

mrossco turned me on to this for your HDDs

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11324/cpa-417/Lian_Li_Quad_SATA_Cable_w_Latch_-_Right_Angle_to_Straight_-_Black_SATA-LT90-4.html

Edited by Neophyte

Guys good luck with you builds. I like that cable. I am a lian-li guy and I have never seen that one before. Let us know how it works out.

The server is built and up and running with Vail. I changed the mother board to a Zotac (6 sata ports) and changed out the cpu fan. I went with the Thermaltake Slim X3 Low Profile 36mm Height CPU Cooler CLP0534. It is quieter than the stock Intel and I am not getting the whine noise. I also put in a 250gb 2.5 drive as a system drive, that I had left over from an upgrade on my Zotac Blueray HTPC.

Does anyone know of a way to use my movies on the vail machine? Or maybe I should just reformat and go to the orginal home server software. I'm just not sure which way to go. I have a bunch of movies and tv series dvd's that I would like to rip to my server.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well the server is up and running with Vail. I have been reading the forums lately and decided to go with V1 software. The package I bought includes a oem preinstallation kit and the dvd etc. for Home Server .I do not have a dvd drive on the server so should I use a usb drive?

Not sure exactly what to do, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys