RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
SurfaceProArtist

Remotely Support Surface Rt?

SurfaceProArtist

So my sister took advantage of the Black Friday sale and bought our 77-year old dad a Surface RT. I've always maintained his laptop remotely via LogMeIn. 

Assuming that won't work on the RT, what are my options to control his system over the Internet?

jcollison

I use Team Viewer on the Surface 2 and it works great.  It's in the store.

SurfaceProArtist

Does it require a lot of technical knowledge to set up on the RT side? I'll have to guide my sister through the process by phone.

SurfaceProArtist

Looking at the TeamViewer Touch app, it seems that the computer being controlled requires a desktop application. Is that not the case? I would be reaching out to the RT from a Windows 8.1 desktop.

jcollison

yea...now that I think about it, I always go from the Surface to a desktop and not the other way around.  Let me dig a bit

SurfaceProArtist

Appreciate the help!

jcollison

So you can use the Remote Assistance feature built into Windows and Window RT to get screen sharing but NOT remote control.  So not exactly what you are looking for and not drop dead simple, but it does work in a pinch for now.

Here is how.

From the Metro screen, type Help and select 'Invite someone to connect to your PC...' 

Select-  Invite someone you trust to help you.

Select- Save this invitation as a file.  You might get a message that it's not configured or the firewall is not configured.  Run the troubleshooter and it will fix it.

Save the invitation file to a place you can get back to or is familiar for your Dad.

Have him email that attachment to you.  When you get, open it.

The RT will have an access code on the screen.  Have your dad read it to you.

Put that in on your side and you are connected.

Again, a work around for now.  But it can be done.

• Like 2

SurfaceProArtist

Thanks a lot, Jim!

jcollison

You bet.  I will write up a full post and get it out on my site later this weekend.

SurfaceProArtist

So I spent the morning creating a Microsoft account for my dad, setting him up as a user on my RT, adding his mail and Facebook settings, preloading a few apps. Hopefully when my sister gets his Surface it will only be a matter of inputting his credentials and copying the settings from my RT.

Anyone know if the settings from my 8.1 system will copy over to his before he updates to 8.1? I assume it will take a few hours to bring his RT up to date.