RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A Few Questions Before I Buy The Surface 2 Rt

BubWright

Hello people

I'm really interested in getting a Surface 2 RT but i have a few questions, 

Does the Surface 2 RT support flash, if not is there anyway i can watch movies and tv shows online via websites like 1channel, primewire, ice films. etc... 

Also does the Surface 2 RT support usb wireless mouses, and does the RT 2 come with a stylus pen in the box, sorry if these are stupid questions i have looked around the internet and i cant seem to find any straight forward answers 

Thank you :)

Edited by BubWright

The Surface 2 RT supports flash in IE. Personally I haven't run into any websites where flash didn't work properly.

Your USB wireless mouse should work - you can check double check the compatibility at the link below. Personally, I would get a Bluetooth mouse so you don't use up your USB port.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

Surface 2 RT does not come with a stylus pen. From my understanding you can use a capacitive style pen. You cannot use a digital style pen like what comes with the Surface 2 Pro.

The features you lose with a capacitive style pen is:

• Sensitive to pen pressure
  • Ability for the computer to recognize the location of the pen when held slightly above, but not touching, the screen.
  • Flip pen to erase, and other option 'buttons' built into the pen

The Surface 2 RT supports flash in IE. Personally I haven't run into any websites where flash didn't work properly.

Your USB wireless mouse should work - you can check double check the compatibility at the link below. Personally, I would get a Bluetooth mouse so you don't use up your USB port.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

Surface 2 RT does not come with a stylus pen. From my understanding you can use a capacitive style pen. You cannot use a digital style pen like what comes with the Surface 2 Pro.

The features you lose with a capacitive style pen is:

• Sensitive to pen pressure
  • Ability for the computer to recognize the location of the pen when held slightly above, but not touching, the screen.
  • Flip pen to erase, and other option 'buttons' built into the pen

ok thanks for that, one more question, will this keyboard work with the surface 2 rt or do they only work the first gen tablets

http://www.game.co.uk/en/microsoft-touch-cover-white-for-microsoft-surface-235503

In IE 10 and now IE 11 for the RT os has the flash support built in. For the original RT running windows 8, web sites had to be white listed to use flash (Meaning that someone had to maintain the list of approved websites which, was pretty slow to add sites.) However, an update 6 months ago or so switched it to a blacklist meaning the assumption is most sites are good. 

Like the earlier reader, I have yet to have any difficulty, in watching flash based videos, in either windows RT 8 or 8.1.  Since the Surface 2 runs RT 8.1, I assume you wouldn't have any problems either.

Also, it is my understanding from Microsoft that the original keyboards will work with Surface 2. The new touch and type keyboards, with more sensors and backlighting, will work with the original Surface RTs. I know the type 2 will work with my RT as I've tried it out in Best Buy.

While the v1 keyboards will work with the Surface 2, my experience says go with the v2 keyboard if at all possible.  Better design, better touch sensitivity and a better all around experience.

That being said, I will use my v1 keyboard till it no longer works (couple months based on feedback from others who have them) and they purchase a v2 touch.