RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trouble using Remote Desktop Client

Don

I have an Acer WHS and recently I started having trouble logging in using the Remote Desktop Connection from either of my two computers. I have used the Remote Desktop Connection before to install Python and PyTiVo so I know it has worked - but it is not right now.

- I can use the remote console to log in (the one in the system tray)

- the WHS is still backing up my computers

- I can use the web access (through homeserver.com) to log in with my personal account.

The Logon Message when trying to log in as Administrator says:

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, they type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

The Logon Message when trying to log into my personal account says:

"To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has that right, of if the Remote Desktop Users group does not hve this right, you mist be granted this right manually.

Is there some setting on the WHS that is blocking the RDP client?

I have installed the Advanced Admin Console add-in and I can bring up the desktop using that but not with the RDP client.

I am stumped what changed to block my remote desktop.

HELP!

PS - I was able to log in before!

I have an Acer WHS and recently I started having trouble logging in using the Remote Desktop Connection from either of my two computers. I have used the Remote Desktop Connection before to install Python and PyTiVo so I know it has worked - but it is not right now.

- I can use the remote console to log in (the one in the system tray)

- the WHS is still backing up my computers

- I can use the web access (through homeserver.com) to log in with my personal account.

The Logon Message when trying to log in as Administrator says:

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, they type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

The Logon Message when trying to log into my personal account says:

"To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has that right, of if the Remote Desktop Users group does not hve this right, you mist be granted this right manually.

Is there some setting on the WHS that is blocking the RDP client?

I have installed the Advanced Admin Console add-in and I can bring up the desktop using that but not with the RDP client.

I am stumped what changed to block my remote desktop.

HELP!

PS - I was able to log in before!

Well it should work with the same password than your Console opens..

But you could try changing the console password. Could be some screwup somewhere.

edit:

I found out today, that the error message about "remote desktop users" is incorrect on WHS. By default, the Remote Desktop Users group doesn't have the "Allow log on through terminal services" right.

Edited by kermi

Well it should work with the same password than your Console opens..

But you could try changing the console password. Could be some screwup somewhere.

edit:

I found out today, that the error message about "remote desktop users" is incorrect on WHS. By default, the Remote Desktop Users group doesn't have the "Allow log on through terminal services" right.

how can I change the console password?

I can log in over the web (homeserver.com) so the password does work but same password won't work through the Remote DeskTop Client

how can I change the console password?

I can log in over the web (homeserver.com) so the password does work but same password won't work through the Remote DeskTop Client

Open the console, go to "settings" -> passwords -> change password

Also: by default, you cannot login with the Administrator account from the web (homeserver.com), and that's the account you need to use to access the server via RDP. You can use your personal account to log in via RDP, but you need to do some settings changes in the servers local security policy.

Do you have the Console configured to remember your password?